• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit alterations (newbie)

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a suit which i want to alter to fit me slimmer. Im a young 5'11, 155lbs man and i think a slimmer suit would work well with me. Unfortunatly, i don't know $H!+ about alterations. Since Im not require to wear suits at work or anything, i never really though too much about it.

What are the basics that i need to know?
Where is a good place to go in NYC?
How much does it usually run?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I have a suit which i want to alter to fit me slimmer. Im a young 5'11, 155lbs man and i think a slimmer suit would work well with me. Unfortunatly, i don't know $H!+ about alterations. Since Im not require to wear suits at work or anything, i never really though too much about it.

It would help if you specified the alterations you are looking to make. Is it the waist of the jacket? the sleeves?, the pants? etc. Certain things you can change, others, like the shoulders, you cannot. Also, what type (style, brand) of suit are we talking? The alterations, done right, will be expensive ($100-300). The suit might or might not be worth it.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the suit is oscar de la renta (componets). I want to make the pants narrower and shorter. I want the jacket to also be tighter and a little shorter, but the sleeves are good. The shoulders are not as smooth as i like, is that unfixable?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No offense, but I wouldn't waste the money on an Oscar de La Renta. The shoulders sound like a padding problem which can be fixed. The jacket can be made shorter, but not too much because then the pockets (flap?) could look out of balance. Making the jacket tighter is also doable to an extent. Again, to get this right, you will need to go to a Bhambi Custom Tailors or Peppino and the cost will be over $100 and closer to $200. Oscar is my countryman and everything (and I guess yours too) but his mens clothes is generally not worth it.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano

Find a custom tailor and have him alter it, most 'shops' don't have a clue.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save your money for a new, better fitting suit. Altering an Oscar suit is not worth the money spend to make it look right. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads