• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit advice - sharp or quiet

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought this fabric. Not too keen on business like stripes and whatnot.

37_1.JPG
48_1.JPG

Will be getting suit made. Double minded if I want it sharp looking (peak lapel SB - maybe even with one button) or quiet and subdued looking. Also would welcome suggestions what to wear with it as some of you have better sense of coordination than me.

Thanks

-

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you're a really big guy, the size of that plaid is going to swallow you up.

kcgreg

Reaction score
I agree with chorse123 about the nuances of the detailing and yes - very unusual fabric - are you sure it's not a blanket? Just asking!

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the fabric, but there is no way a suit made in that is ever going to be subdued or quiet. Check out the new grey and pink overpane RLPL at polo.com , that has a rather vibrant pattern too and looks nice.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With this fabric, I would stick with sportcoats but if you do want to go the suit route, I disagree with the other posters. I'd get a peak label 2 button jacket with slanted pockets or a 6x2 DB jacket. Both with side vents, and on the pants I'd go 2 inch cuff, single reverse pleat and no belt loops with side adjusters. BTW, who are you using to make the suit?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does that have a large cashmere content in it?

Id make it 3 button single breasted with three patch pockets (sans flaps) Pants, I would do either plain front or a reverse pleat with either belt loops or D-rings, oh and Id use maybe a dark reddish horn button. Then the suit can eithe be edwardian or extremely hip depending on what you wear it with.

Who is making this for you btw, and, as a necessary follow up, what is his house style like?

ATM

Reaction score
Would you need more than the usual amount of fabric when it has such a large pattern? I'm thinking you would need to make the pattern fall in an appealing way on the suit.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
It's hard to picture a suit made of that cloth that will look good. I'm big on checked/plaid suitings but this one doesnt seem like it will work. The checks are so widely spaced that I think it would look awkward on a normal person's height/width proportions. And the colors are too blanket-y...matter of fact I have a comfortor that is in almost the exact pattern/color.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dog bed

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Does that have a large cashmere content in it?

Id make it 3 button single breasted with three patch pockets (sans flaps) Pants, I would do either plain front or a reverse pleat with either belt loops or D-rings, oh and Id use maybe a dark reddish horn button. Then the suit can eithe be edwardian or extremely hip depending on what you wear it with.

Who is making this for you btw, and, as a necessary follow up, what is his house style like?

Now that is the kind of advice I was looking for. I think patch pockets wont work with peak lapels. But that is an idea. I am still to receive the fabric. If a suit looks too odd ( I will try draping on myself in a full length mirror) it goes into the overcoat stash.

On the other hand, I was thinking about bringing this back from the overcoat stash to the suit stash but feel that it may have a little too much purple. I think this one is about a 23 or 24 oz fabric.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like that fabric! I can see that being a nice suit. Might look nice with a lilac shirt

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
dog bed
My first thought too, and no disrespect, but...think twice. Where would you wear it? Tastes differ. If you like it go for it.
dog5ko.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Now that is the kind of advice I was looking for. I think patch pockets wont work with peak lapels. But that is an idea. I am still to receive the fabric. If a suit looks too odd ( I will try draping on myself in a full length mirror) it goes into the overcoat stash.

On the other hand, I was thinking about bringing this back from the overcoat stash to the suit stash but feel that it may have a little too much purple. I think this one is about a 23 or 24 oz fabric.

Errr, I wouldnt do a peak lapel on the first fabric you showed us, it wont look good because the plaid is too widely spaced. Notch lapels and patch pockets would give it a sort of neo-edwardian flavor which can be "hip" with the right shirt and tie at a restaurant.

How heavy was that fabric? 23/24 ounces per yard!? I would caution against making a suit over 16 ounces unless the fabric is very light and airy for its weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads