• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit advice for a med student.

Tabris

Reaction score
Tried the quick q. thread, but figured a thread wouldn't hurt.

I'm a med student. I'm quite athletic, played rugby and still row for university.

Need a new suit since I haven't gotten one since my last interview and I've grown out of that. I'm based in the UK so popping to London is quite easy for me.

I prefer British styled suits that are slim with a mid-slightly lower button point, as little shoulder padding as possible. I've already looked into the whole full, half canvas and fused malarkey, but there are so many posts on this forum it's a lot of effort to go through it all when I have more pressing matters on my plate. Just going to go for the standard 1-2 button dark navy/charcoal suit and all that jazz I reckon.

I'm not stupid and am not going to buy a bespoke suit when my age and status does not require it. Been looking at entry level suits that may be half canvassed such as Austin Reed and Rees (according to this thread, though I have read posts that contradict this somewhere in my searches).

I just need a little suggestion or two for decent brands available in the UK at the price point of the previously mentioned brands.

If I was in my final year of medical school, I'd be more willing to damage my account and go all of the way with a good MTM or bespoke suit. But that isn't the case, I'm a 22 year old med student who's still a way off, so a reasonable entry level suit will do for now.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I am in Canada, I can't recommend makes/stores, but I'll share some pointers.

Where funds are tight, there are 2 basic schools of thought:
1) buy 2 of the cheapest suits you can (1 charcoal and 1 navy)
or
2) better to have one quality suit than 2 cheap ones.

An entry level suit, if properly fitted, can look almost as good as an expensive one, but not for as long.
Therefore, if your need for a suit is 3-6 wearings per year, whatever colour you choose,
let the fabric be of medium weight (not too heavy or light).
Aside from a scorching hot summer day, that suit would probably get you through most needs.
Ofcourse you will know your needs better than anyone.

Have at least 2 blue shirts and 2 off-white shirts, 1 good belt, and some ties.
Buy at least 1 decent pair of shoes, in black, and keep them only for use with your suit(s) until your wardrobe grows. Use shoe trees or stuff newspaper in the shoes so they maintain their shape.

Tabris

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I'd probably prescribe to the one suit school of thought as in don't really need a collection of suits at this point in time.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The above advice it's pretty solid. Buy the best cut suit you can afford, one will do. Black captoe shoes, you're in England so your choices are plenty, entry would be Loake 1880, a couple of light blue or white slim fitting shirts and a solid wool or silk navy tie. You will be interviewing for residency soon ( it'll be before you know it) and prog directors can be a conservative bunch; having said that, you don't want to out dress them (and some dress like shyte...)
Good luck.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I believe T M Lewin suits are down to £179 and the Blue Label is of much higher quality than comparable AR suits.

With regard to shoes HerringShoes.co.uk are a really good source for both Loake, Cheaney and their own-brand shoes. Combine that with Lewin's 5 for £100 on shirts and for about £400 you will have a very solid work-wardrobe.

AlphaAndTheOmega

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
and prog directors can be a conservative bunch; having said that, you don't want to out dress them (and some dress like shyte...)

So true
laugh.gif

Tabris

Reaction score
Blue label? All I got from google is Ralph blue label for women. Or do you mean T M Lewin's blue label or something?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tabris
Blue label? All I got from google is Ralph blue label for women. Or do you mean T M Lewin's blue label or something?
TM Lewin Blue Label suits: http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/MensTailori...,en_GB,sc.html And the Loake 1880s are quite nice for the price. I got my son a pair of black cap toes for his first good shoes (college student). I believe Pediwear has the best price.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how the pricing is in the UK, but I'd consider Aquascutum very "British" in terms of styling. I seem to recall from a London vacation some years ago that they do a decent sale. Can't comment on quality as my only item from them is a tie.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
maybe he just watched Love and other drugs... he wants to wear a suit to a bar and pick up a hot drug sales rep named "Lisa"

Tabris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Why do you need a suit as a med student (for anything other than graduation or job interviews)?
confused.gif
Mates of mine who are working as doctors tell me that no one under the level of a consultant would ever wear a suit on the job for fear of outdressing their boss given that most doctors (even senior ones) tend to dress quite poorly.

I'm going to be intercalating a second degree soon (still deciding between bachelors or masters). Will need a new suit for interviews for unis that may want me to interview.

Also, I just need a new suit in general for those occasions that may call for one. Getting to the age where the early birds are getting married and I need something to look in-place. I'm not expecting a suit to fit all occasions, but it's something I definitely need to keep in my wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads