• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Advice After Alteration - Critique needed

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a suit jacket taken in at the sides and center vent for added waist suppression as suggested by the lady who served me. Upon receiving the jacket, I noticed that there was an issue with the vent - a bit of an overlap occurring:
side.jpg
After speaking to the tailor, he suggested that it's just the result of waist suppression - and that it looks fine. Now i'm not entirely sure if it's supposed to be like this. If not any suggestions on what can be done to improve it? Some more fit pics:
back-2.jpg
front-1.jpg
Advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did your arms grow a few inches since you visited the tailor?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I agree, the suit that extra fold in the first picture looks odd. I've had jackets taken in quite a bit an not had that problem, would think a competent tailor could fix it.

EZ

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
Did your arms grow a few inches since you visited the tailor?

lol nah my arms didn't grow but rather it was a stylistic choice I made with the sleeve length.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he's referring to the fact that the shirt sleeve looks a bit short as well. The amount of cuff shown is spot-on IMO.

Originally Posted by AriGold
lol nah my arms didn't grow but rather it was a stylistic choice I made with the sleeve length.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What your "tailor" did was took in the waist without adjusting the rest of the jacket. Sloppy work at its finest.

An amateur at best, probably a complete quack who learned how to use a sewing machine by reading the manual, then hung a shingle advertising self as "tailor".

Would avoid.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
I think he's referring to the fact that the shirt sleeve looks a bit short as well. The amount of cuff shown is spot-on IMO.

I would agree if his shirt sleeves weren't too short. If the shirt sleeves were the right length he'd be showing an inch of cuff

Dr.Teatime

Reaction score
IMHO, the left side seam was not closed properly. Maybe one of the tailors (like Sator) could comment more eloquently on this.

Nonetheless, you shoud have it fixed. If your tailor wont, then take it to another for an opinion. I suggest you find a SF-approved tailor in your locale.

I'm not one for confrontation, so when I have this type of problem, I take it to another tailor.

Good luck.

Razeus

Reaction score
Your shirt sleeves are an inch too short. Thus your jacket is even shorter. There's no coming back from that.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button stance and gorge both weirdly high.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry much about the vent. It does look strange, but that's something that mininum 90% of the world won't notice. What they will notice, though, are your extremely short sleeves. You should get them taken out. As of now, it's almost a 3/4 sleeve jacket, which appears effeminate, at best.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the sleeves are off, way too short but everything else seems to fit fine.

guster

Reaction score
Chest, shoulders look good. Th sleeve length make the jacket look too small for you. If you want shirt cuffs showing, haveth shirt a bit longer. If this is a jacket for going out, maybe ok. If it is for a business settng, I would not wear sleeves tha short.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. The shoulders and chest are the hardest thing to get right and that jacket looks like it fits perfectly in those areas. Stylistic choice or not, your shirt and jacket sleeves really throw that suit into the "I'm in the middle of a growth spurt and will get a new suit when it's over" bin. Really, really bad IMO. And that is a very high button stance (but I like the fashionably high gorge).

As far as the vents go, not the best work but I don't think a lot of people will notice. I'd probably take it to a different tailor to see if it could be fixed.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
What your "tailor" did was took in the waist without adjusting the rest of the jacket. Sloppy work at its finest.

An amateur at best, probably a complete quack who learned how to use a sewing machine by reading the manual, then hung a shingle advertising self as "tailor".

Would avoid.

+1 a good tailor recuts the vents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads