• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suggestions on visting Northampton for shoebuying.

raffijian

Reaction score
I’m looking to take a short trip to Northampton hopefully within the next few weeks and get a couple of shoes and boots.

For those who have gone, has it been worthwhile savings-wise as opposed to ordering from US?

I have some Crockett & Jones and Alfred Sargent shoes/boots in mind so hoping to see them first hand before making the purchases.

Thanks.

Chowkin

Reaction score
I have no experience of buying shoes from the US but assuming it’s English made shoes you’re after (given you mentioned Northampton) then I’m pretty sure they would be cheaper if you buy them in the UK

The whole point of going to Northampton is to visit the factory shops to hunt for factory seconds. You might want to call them in advance to check their opening hours and stock availability. The train ticket is not cheap and if you’re just buying one pair it may not be worth the trouble.

BTW, I don’t think Alfred Sargent operates a factory shop.

raffijian

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, Chowkin. And, yes, it is for English shoes.

Correct about Alfred Sargent; they don't have a factory shop from what I have found.

I have a few pairs of shoes/boots in mind from different brands so my intent is to purchase several, so long as my size and styles are available. My main objective is to try them on in person, rather than guessing the fit of the lasts. Don't want to go through buying online and then returning if the fit is not right.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.