• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions on Changing Blazer Buttons

Lowndes

Reaction score
I picked up a Navy Blue Blazer from Brooks Brothers several weeks back. I like it a lot. Regent cut with double vents. However, it has brass buttons with an image of a sheep or something dangling that I don't like that much. What are some examples of buttons that I can change them too? I've read brown horn buttons is a good option but what else do people like?

I want to keep the blazer look to it but make it appear a little bit "younger". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I think I know the answer to this question but you can't just wear a navy blue suit jacket as your blazer can you? I've read this is a no-no but don't see what the real difference is besides the buttons? I just laid down a suit jacket and my blazer side by side and the only real difference my untrained eye picks up is that my blazer is heavier and made out of thicker material.

Thanks and sorry for all my questions as of late. Really trying to put the finishing touches on my basic wardrobe. Thanks to this site I feel like I am off to a great start.

Vecsus

Reaction score
I dislike brass buttons (in fact, I don't like any brass or yellow gold accessories) so I picked up a set from Waterbury for a cashmere navy blazer I had made for me. Some might scoff at wearing such an informal design but I am an avid cyclist so these fit my style perfectly.
06187.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a bunch of threads about blazers. Also find Manton's BlazerSuit threads, they are informative.

As for buttons, I have the same blazer. I wore it blazin' for awhile, and liked it more than I thought I would, but then tired of all blazin' all the time. So I switched the blazin' sheeps out for some nice brown marbled buttons I took off a vintage Hickey Freeman sportcoat.

Brown buttons would be enough to signal sport coat but you know what, not too many people under 40 are going to pick up on that anyway. People also prefer certain pocket styles and other details for blazers. Go read all the blazer threads and you will learn this stuff.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I second the brown buttons in a horn or faux tortoise shell - great look if you prefer the non-metallic buttons. In fact I wore mine just today!

Smahatma

Reaction score
white bone / mother of pearl is a popular option around here

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
white bone / mother of pearl is a popular option around here

If you get the MOP - make sure you buy lots of extras - they break/chip fairly easily - especially after a trip to the dry-cleaner. That being said the silver MOP looks nice too...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads