1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on a Seiko or Citizens watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nolow, Apr 28, 2008.

1. nolow

nolow Active Member

I met a sales rep who does Citizen and Seiko watches. He is willing to sell me a watch from either one of these two manufacturers at cost. I believe it will be about 50 percent off retail. I'm looking for a watch to wear with everyday business attire, since I do not wear a watch normally. It would also double as my formal wear watch. Does anyone have any suggestions on which make and model to start my search with? If you just throw out some names and recommendations, I can do the research from there.

2. soaped

soaped Senior member

Can he/she get Seiko/Citizen watches from the Japan market, and what is your budget? I dont really like any of Seiko or Citizen's US offerings (where are you located?). The Citizen US e210 movement is nice, but they are fit into very large watches (~44mm). For an affordable watch that would double as a formal, I'd look at the Seiko "Spirit" line of watches. They have a sapphire crystal, and Seiko's 6R15 movement that hacks and are hand wind-able. It's not the most accurate automatic watch, but it can hold its own and is a very nice watch for about 300-350$. http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...5_SCVS003.html http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...5_SCVS013.html If you have a higher budget, I'd also take a look at Citizen's "The Citizen." I'm not sure if it still holds true, but it is or was one of the the most accurate quartz watches made. http://www.higuchi-inc.com/thecitizen.html Citizen Campanola's are wonderful as well: http://www.higuchi-inc.com/campanola.html

3. whacked

whacked Senior member

^ Doubtful a US sales rep have access to Japan / Asian market exclusive watches.

Here are some very affordable dress watch suggestions:

Seiko 5 SNK 123 aka the poor man's Grand Seiko
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy of PMWF's Top 20 Watches "Candidate List"

Citizen Stiletto
    [​IMG]

4. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

Never been a fan of Citizen, but I like that Stiletto! It has a very simple and classic lookt to it.

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

FWIW, that photo (or scan [​IMG]) of the Seiko is not the most flattering. It looks fantastic in person, so much so that I bought one as present for my father last year. He loves it. [​IMG]

6. soaped

soaped Senior member

I've never seen the Citizen Stiletto before, that's not half bad if its available in the US!

7. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I've never seen the Citizen Stiletto before, that's not half bad if its available in the US!

They are and should be about $140 new on eBay. They all have sapphire crystals and are extremely light. My roommate has one and it looks fantastic.

8. nolow

nolow Active Member

Thanks for the help guys. The stiletto looks nice, but it looks plain in the photo. I'll try to look at it in person. I'm looking to spend no more than a $500 ($1000 retail), but I would like to keep my cost at $350 or below ($700 retail). Are both of these manufacturers at the same level, or is one considered more high end?

9. contaygious

contaygious Senior member

10. AnGeLiCbOrIs

^ Doubtful a US sales rep have access to Japan / Asian market exclusive watches. Here are some very affordable dress watch suggestions: Seiko 5 SNK 123 aka the poor man's Grand Seiko [​IMG] Courtesy of PMWF's Top 20 Watches "Candidate List"
    Can anyone direct me where to buy this for "under $60?" edit: I found the white version here.

11. whacked

whacked Senior member

edit: I found the white version here.

That's NOT the same watch. The Seiko in my post has dauphine hands and much, much cleaner dial. Looks like Seiko changed the model numbers around a bit; I guess you'd just have to use your eyes. [​IMG]

BTW, most of the watch write-ups in PMWF list were done a few years ago; prices have fluctuated quite a bit, and mostly gone up. For getting the best prices, I think your best bet is eBay.

12. AnGeLiCbOrIs

That's NOT the same watch. The Seiko in my post has dauphine hands and much, much cleaner dial. Looks like Seiko changed the model numbers around a bit; I guess you'd just have to use your eyes. [​IMG]

BTW, most of the watch write-ups in PMWF list were done a few years ago; prices have fluctuated quite a bit, and mostly gone up. For getting the best prices, I think your best bet is eBay.

Yeah. I realized that as soon as I posted it. The black one you posted looks nicer than any I can currently find on eBay. My favorite Seiko 5 I've found so far is the SNK799.

I bought a lightly used Citizen Stiletto on eBay today so I really don't need the 5 anymore.

13. Singular

Singular Senior member

I'd pick a Seiko from the SARB line, they look great with their 60's styling.

/M

14. Hazad

Hazad Senior member

I just bought (well, 1 week ago) that same Seiko for $65 (including shipping) from Timezone. Just over $60 but with shipping included not bad at all. I would check there a bit, but browsing the buying/selling forum can get quite annoying.

15. rezzor

rezzor Senior member

The stiletto looks very clean. With leather strap I thinks it's a better choice for what you want to use it for than the Seiko (which is also nice but a bit more sporty).

16. valejo

valejo Well-Known Member

I'd pick a Seiko from the SARB line, they look great with their 60's styling.

/M

That's where I'm leaning myself. They have a gold-color metal with brown leather strap and silver metal with black leather.