• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for young professional

Jt787

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a young professional currently working in an Accounting firm. I have to wear a suit + tie on a daily basis as part of the dress code.

I'm going to London in two weeks and I'll be staying there for 1 week. My budget is 1200 pounds for the following:

Navy blue suit
Ties (orange, black, grey)
Shirts (White, Blue)
Socks
Dress Shoes/Loafers
Professional watch

I've heard many good things about SuitSupply. Would it fit my budget though? How long would the tailoring take? Could you also please suggest stores/brands where I could purchase quality garments for good prices?

I'm also fairly skinny. I weight approximately 63 Kgs (140lbs) and my height is 5'9.

- I currently have 1 grey suit from Massimo Dutti (tailored) and one Charcoal navy blue suit from Boggi Milano. The Boggi suit is a bit tight on the shoulders and unfortunately I had no experience in purchasing suits before.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For £1200 you're not going to get too much from London on those prices that is quality. You'd be better off either going through buying and selling here or focusing on getting well made individual items slowly.

If I were you I'd focus that £1200 on a good suit (ca. £650+ E&R?), a couple of nice shirts from somewhere like Harvie & Hudson or Hilditch & Key (yet their slim fit line isn't all that slim fit) and pick up ties when and where you see them for a good price. Focus on your shoes for the money, a bad pair of shoes let any expensive outfit down immensely.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the money, Suit Supply is great. People will try to steer you to expensive stuff and pull the ''well, cheap is cheap'' line but you can't go to work naked. Conservative navy and grey suits will be fine, two should be under 1000 right there. Surf SF and you'll be better dressed than the majority of your peers. The non-absolutely-essential things can be built over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads