• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for short (5'3") guy?

mteorman

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm 5'3", 120 lbs. (14" neck, 29" waist, 36" chest) and I'm trying to update my wardrobe, but am having trouble finding things that fit. Online shopping is especially difficult because based on size charts, it seems like size small would fit me (RL's charts for example) but then I order and it never does. I suppose I'll have to look for some XS-sized stuff, or smalls that run really small.

Based on this, can anyone suggest to me places I should check out online, and places I should definitely avoid? I'm especially looking for some oxfords, casual shirts, sweaters, and overcoats.

2sweet

Reaction score
I find that sizing charts are sometimes misleading as well. For example, a small is supposed to be 34-36" chest, but I fit most smalls very well, even though my actual measurement is bigger than that size.

There are a number of retailers which provide XS men's clothing: Express and American Eagle are two examples. I believe H&M has XS sizing as well. Gap has XS as well online, although I find their small fits more like a medium.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You are a size small or size 1 in Japanese labels. We have a few size smalls in stock and several are on sale right now. Spring shipments are arriving later in the month and we will have your size available in nearly everything. Just look over our site and e-mail with questions, www.atsuitokyo.com.

Get familiar with Rakuten as well
smile.gif

Best, Jay - Atsui

kontai69

Reaction score
I'm 5'7" and but have the same chest and waist size as you. I find that J Crew "small" fits pretty well with a slightly relaxed fit on me, which is how I like it. They also have XS so you might want to try that also for a more body hugging fit.

From experience, avoid Eddie Bauer. Their smalls are very large on me. Gap and Banana Republic smalls tend to have sleeves that are too long on me.

rockket

Reaction score
Look into kid sizes...usually much cheaper too.

mteorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rockket
Look into kid sizes...usually much cheaper too.
Occassionally this works... but it's hard to find decent-looking kids' stuff. Also, many times either the chest and neck are a bit small (on a large) or else it's too long and baggy (on an XL). I'm not opposed to it, though.

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
it might be intimidating, but i am 5'9 135lb and a childs xl fits me well.

sayocean

Reaction score
check out shades of greige. I've yet to come across an item from them that doesn't fit me well. I'm 5'4, 140 and their smalls fit me great

sayocean

Reaction score
what does being heavy have to do with being short? People can be 6'4, 130 and have a nasty beer gut and others can be 5'2, 150 all muscle. I'm out of shape at the moment but I'm by no means obese/fat and SoG fits great for shorter guys.

The OP wanted to know what works on shorter posters and if he wanted to know what works for short AND < 140, you're post would've worked.

acg2010

Reaction score
I think that he was trying to suggest that because you're heavier the clothes are going to fit tighter on you or better (if thats how you want to call it) than they would on someone who is 20 pounds lighter, so that basically what works on your isn't totally relevant. im guessing that the OP really wanted to know what worked on shorter people that are more his build.

jskidder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acg2010
I think that he was trying to suggest that because you're heavier the clothes are going to fit tighter on you or better (if thats how you want to call it) than they would on someone who is 20 pounds lighter, so that basically what works on your isn't totally relevant. im guessing that the OP really wanted to know what worked on shorter people that are more his build.

this is indeed what i meant

GloStiX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kontai69
I'm 5'7" and but have the same chest and waist size as you. I find that J Crew "small" fits pretty well with a slightly relaxed fit on me, which is how I like it. They also have XS so you might want to try that also for a more body hugging fit.

From experience, avoid Eddie Bauer. Their smalls are very large on me. Gap and Banana Republic smalls tend to have sleeves that are too long on me.

Also 5'7", same measurements.

H&M's size Small will be perfect in the waist and chest, and you can get shirttails shortened if need be. I don't know about sleeves.

Express fitted shirts in size Small have shorter sleeves than the H&M but will also fit well in the chest and waist. Long shirttails though.

I'd say look into some Asian retailers online (CBUNITED, YesStyle, etc.), they may have stuff that fits your build.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads