• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for Shoes around $200

RingTail

Reaction score
As my old shoes are wearing out I wanted to get suggestions, having been a short time lurker it seems that I would get good quality shoes from Allen Edmunds. I would be upgrading from my current Kenneth Cole and Steve Maddens.

I typically like having a pair of black and brown leather shoes, I would use the black shoes for work when I wear gray pants and the brown shoes when I wear brown pants or jeans. I would like the black ones to also work with a suit.

From reading here it seem leather soles would be of better quality so I was thinking of these two

For black
Sagamore - Store can get them for $150 as they are discontinued
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7014C_1_40000000001_-1

For brown
Randolp - would need to wait for sale, as they are $325
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4809_1_40000000001_-1

I like the look of Firenze, but it has a rubber sole, similar looking Ferragamo's are also beyond my budget.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF49980_1_40000000001_-1

Also not sure what I'd be wearing with the snow outside if I get leather soled shoes.

viator

Reaction score
The Randolph is the best bet of the three you selected, as it is recraftable and the nicest looking.

BigCheese

Reaction score
I have the Sagamore, got it for $75 at my local allen edmonds outlet. Not bad for a beater shoe. I would go with a pair of brown Kenilworth's for an all around shoe. Its a great shoe, I love it. As far as a black shoe that works with suits, can't go wrong with the Park Ave.

Big Cheese

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been silently stalking/browsing the shoe brand Bexley recently. They are a French shoe-maker that offers an inexpensive shoe. From what I've read (limited) on SF and Google, people generally seem to be happy with the quality for the price. That said, I just got a newsletter email that they have a sale starting today. Lots of shoes for 89 Euro (w/ VAT)... so without... even cheaper. Subtract VAT and add shipping to US, and you are looking at about $150 USD shipped to your door UPS.

I bit the bullet and just picked up a pair of their Suede Double Monks to cross the Double-monk off the wish list.

lugano_velours_havane.jpg

Will report back with how I like them. Little bit worried about the last, but the top-view on the website as well as 360 view seems pretty good to me. Worst case scenario I'm out $150. We'll see!

But anyways, you might want to look there. Hard to say no for $150 (Goodyear welted leather sole shoes)

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Sagamore, got it for $75 at my local allen edmonds outlet. Not bad for a beater shoe. I would go with a pair of brown Kenilworth's for an all around shoe. Its a great shoe, I love it. As far as a black shoe that works with suits, can't go wrong with the Park Ave. 

Big Cheese

+1

The outlets provide a great budget option if AE is what you are looking for. But please, try on the pair you are looking to get, before you buy online or otherwise. Size varies from model to model...

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I be a naysayer for the moment? While the Sagamore looks like a sturdy shoe, that style reminds me of the "dress shoes" that I got in college at Aldo. If you're working in a pretty casual environment or back office sort of job, they are probably ok. But if you are wearing suits or seeing clients I would strongly suggest something else.

Last edited:

RingTail

Reaction score
Last edited:

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a suit, the Park Aves are best. They are fairly conservative, but not a "Dad's shoe."

I don't like the Sagamore, the Kenilworth is better, but still not nearly as good as a PA. Look at the 5th Ave as well.

The Firenze is a loafer, and not appropriate with a suit.

The Randolph is a nice shoe, but is also casual. If you want a shoe that can dress up or down, consider the McCallister or Strand

Strand

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Park Ave's also. I dont think they're a dad shoe. The last is nice and they are good for formal occasions (my go-to black shoe).

If you are looking for non-formal / casual, check out the Allen Edmonds Player's Shoe. Just picked up a pair in Walnut off Ebay for around $170 (brand new. seconds with no noticeable flaws). Score!

RingTail

Reaction score
It's a very casual environment at work, being a little higher up in my position I try to dress a little more formally. So I might end up getting two black pairs one for the suit and one for every day work wear. I've bought lots of Aldo's in the past :)

Unregistered

Reaction score
One only needs one pair of black shoes for funerals. And operas.

Get brown.

AE Park Aves and Fifth Aves are terrific shoes for the price and almost must-haves.

Challenge yourself to get out of Aldos/Kenneth Coles - Get a pair of Fifth Aves in Walnut and learn to love them!!

You can darken them slightly with brown shoe polish if it really is not working.

Vloed

Reaction score
I've been silently stalking/browsing the shoe brand Bexley recently. They are a French shoe-maker that offers an inexpensive shoe. From what I've read (limited) on SF and Google, people generally seem to be happy with the quality for the price. That said, I just got a newsletter email that they have a sale starting today. Lots of shoes for 89 Euro (w/ VAT)... so without... even cheaper. Subtract VAT and add shipping to US, and you are looking at about $150 USD shipped to your door UPS.
I bit the bullet and just picked up a pair of their Suede Double Monks to cross the Double-monk off the wish list.

Will report back with how I like them. Little bit worried about the last, but the top-view on the website as well as 360 view seems pretty good to me. Worst case scenario I'm out $150. We'll see!
But anyways, you might want to look there. Hard to say no for $150 (Goodyear welted leather sole shoes)

Thanks for the heads-up on Bexley - that's really is cheap!

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would you recommend suede doublemonks if he's only looking to have a basic black and a basic brown shoe? That would be like a 20th shoe... not a second shoe.

As for OP, if you're looking at the Randolph, look at the Westchester. It's similar, but I think it looks better. I have two of them: one in brown, one in walnut.

msart84

Reaction score
What the OP should do is pay the 200.... and then pay another 300 and get a much better pair of Aldens or C+J's!!!! Then this can be a much more exciting post titles "Suggestions for Shoes around $500."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics