• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suggestions for high rise jeans

lovelux2010

Reaction score
hello..
after obsessively reading this forum for the last year and a half or so, i am starting to wear higher rise trousers with suiting and odd trousers, and i feel this approach looks better on my body type (slimish at 145 pounds, 5'7, broad shoulders but slim legs and slim hips)

so, question for streetwear is - i desperately need help choosing raw denim that has a higher rise. reason is, for work i usually wear jeans with a soft collared shirt or button down tucked in, and this just looks ridiculous with low rise jeans on me, i'm basically busting out of the jeans anyway, so tucking in a shirt just accentuates my largeish shoulders and skinny legs..not a good look.

bit more background, i've only bought dior 19 raws and APC petit standards over the past 3 years. now, usually a person should be able to buy 1 or 2 dior raws, but on mine, the crotch blows out after 6-12 months of 2-3 day a week wear, so i have a experimented with different sizes of diors thinking that was the reason for crotch blowout.
on the APCs petit standards, i've only recently looked in the mirror and realized how ridiculous they look on me. the thighs are too tight, the crotch area looks tihgt, and the rise is super low on me, so i have to wear them very low. i've bought into looking comcortable in clothing,so trying to look cool and comfortable not digging the squeezed into low rise look anymore

anyways this is getting too long sorry..to make it simple in case i lost you -
- dior 19s: higher rise than APCs, look better on me than APCs i think, look more comfortable and can be worn with shirt tucked in, and can be worn higher on waist which seems to make me look a bit taller
- APC petit standards: look OK when worn with beaten up plaid shirt overtop when hips covered, but look ridiculous when i try to tuck in a shirt. also, cant wear them higher and rise is so low on me
- levis 501s: have an old pair which seem to have a higher rise as well

so what i'd like to know is what are raw denim brands i can so i can finally get a pair of jeans i love that actually fit well with a higher rise. the only brands i really have tried on in years have been levis, APC and Dior, so i have no idea where to start looking for other options (i'm in London if anyone has stores)...thanks!

OH..i should also add: i would like low rise but with legs on the slimmer side, as i think i suit a slimmer leg as a shorter guy

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Petit Standards are just a low-rise version of the New Standard. I don't know how people came to believe other things about them, I think people believe they may be slimmer or something. I don't really like them but I have a pair I wore quite awhile and they look nice - I just can't keep them up because the rise is too low.

Diors have an awesome rise. I love the block on that jean. I just wish I didn't have to wear the Dior branding on ****** anymore.

I think the jean you're looking for is honestly a plain old pair of New Standards. Similar rise to Diors, more suitable leg if you're trying to wear them for biz caz.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LVC 501 44, great slimmish cut with a high rise.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
+1

But OP is actually looking for mid-rise jeans. He doesn't have any idea what high rise really is.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Petit Standards are just a low-rise version of the New Standard. I don't know how people came to believe other things about them, I think people believe they may be slimmer or something. I don't really like them but I have a pair I wore quite awhile and they look nice - I just can't keep them up because the rise is too low.

Diors have an awesome rise. I love the block on that jean. I just wish I didn't have to wear the Dior branding on ****** anymore.

I think the jean you're looking for is honestly a plain old pair of New Standards. Similar rise to Diors, more suitable leg if you're trying to wear them for biz caz.

hey..
i hear you on the PS rise, they look silly on me, wish i realised sooner before putting in 8 months with them. i do think you need to be slimane model slim to wear them, otherwise they look unflattering

i also agree with you on dior branding, i despise logos - but like you i love their cut. although, i'd be curious to try a higher rise, and open to slightly less tight thighs (maybe thats why the crotch always blows out before i even achieve any wear and character to the 19s).

can i ask you - do you know how the rise on NS compares to rise on 19? higher or lower??...
i'll try on a pair of NS, love that idea just hope rise high enough

i though difference between NS and PS was the width in the bottom half of jean, though NS was straight cut versus PS tapered but i could be wrong.

this page shows APCs in action (but guy skinny so looks good in all 3 cuts)
http://www.tresbienshop.net/catalogs...result/?q=apc+

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
At 5'7, a mid rise is best for him anyway

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The rise is pretty similar between the NS and 19cm, not big enough a difference to get out the measuring tape. The Diors look a little taller because they dont have a button to break up the waistband.

New Standards are 'straight fit, with a gradual taper from the knee down, neither too tight nor too loose'
Petit Standards are the same jean with about an inch or inch and half lopped off the rise. They discontinued the Hipster model when they came out with the PS, which was their low-rise jean before.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
At 5'7, a mid rise is best for him anyway

hmm its true..i dont truly know if i need a mid-rise or high-rise..just know that low rise does'nt work for me! so would the levis suggestion be true mid rise or a true high rise option?

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo

sweet. will try on.
would they be higher rise then dior 19 or NS?..

lovelux2010

Reaction score
The rise is pretty similar between the NS and 19cm, not big enough a difference to get out the measuring tape. The Diors look a little taller because they dont have a button to break up the waistband. New Standards are 'straight fit, with a gradual taper from the knee down, neither too tight nor too loose' Petit Standards are the same jean with about an inch or inch and half lopped off the rise. They discontinued the Hipster model when they came out with the PS, which was their low-rise jean before.
great information. well if i dont find another options for higher rise than dior 19s, the NS sounds like a good alternative also - did a bit of research theres an LVC store in London, so i'll check them out. anything i should look out for? would jeans at LVC all be made in USA and quality, could i get selvedge or do i have to be careful even at LVC store

lovelux2010

Reaction score
just a quick update on my search. i finally settled on a pair of LVC 55' 501s. they have a higher rise then the diors. moreover, i've only recently realized how silly i look in dior 19s (i am of average build, not skinny) - they 55's are also a lot looser in the thighs and legs...feel and look a lot more comfortable!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads