• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for good weekend bag

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at this bag for a weekend bag, whether travel by car or as carry-on on a plane. Is this suitable for packing a suit with dress shoes, say for traveling to a wedding (which seems I may be doing a number of times in the near future) or business? Check the "how many clothes can you pack" link, which is pretty informative. http://www.flotoimports.com/VenGrand...-luggage.html# or it's smaller counterpart, http://www.flotoimports.com/VenDuffle-luggage.html I like the fact that it is made of leather, and the styling is pretty simple, yet classic looking. I'm open to other suggestions for bags of this size and around this price point. Thanks.

Taxler

Reaction score
If you're carrying a suit, I would suggest a garment bag instead. Duffles are good for other items, and I usually carry both.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at one of their bags too. I searched archives a few weeks back and Soph had good things to say about them.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I like the fact that it is made of leather.

I've not had good luck with leather luggage. Aesthetically, it goes south from the day it's purchased. If you're able to keep it away from the airlines and the elements it will fare better but then much of its function will be lost.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too had been looking for a good weekend bag made of leather. However, I settled for a Jack Spade weekender and it has done me quite well through various short trips this summer.

Pariolino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I've not had good luck with leather luggage. Aesthetically, it goes south from the day it's purchased. If you're able to keep it away from the airlines and the elements it will fare better but then much of its function will be lost.
I would have thought that a man as distinguished as yourself only flew private.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno if he sold it already, but gorgesailor had a ridiculous leather luciano barbera weekend bag in B&S for about $300 and was throwing in a free Tumi bag, last week.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pariolino
I would have thought that a man as distinguished as yourself only flew private.
Heretofore I've not felt the need but maybe when I'm older.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tumi Tri-fold....hands down. You can get an eagle-creek shirt folder and fit that inside the folded bag. It's PERFECT.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Really? I thought leather was the type of material that would age well under heavy use. This bag is meant to be carry-on. I would not, assuming size does not prohibit it, use it as check in luggage.
Originally Posted by Taxler
If you're carrying a suit, I would suggest a garment bag instead. Duffles are good for other items, and I usually carry both.
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Tumi Tri-fold....hands down. You can get an eagle-creek shirt folder and fit that inside the folded bag. It's PERFECT.
I'm trying to avoid the whole garment bag thing, and I want to travel light and only have one bag. Searches on AAAC and here suggest that if properly inverted, folded, and packed, a suit can be carried in a duffel type bag with minimal, or at least with not too detrimental effect, to the suit. Plus, this bag will be used for all types of traveling, suit or no suit, and I don't want to carry around a bulky garment bag for those purposes (I just don't like the look aesthetically).

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To each his own, but you should really check out the tri-fold. It's extremely UN-bulky, that's what makes it so great. If you don't want to spend for Tumi, victorinox makes a nice one also.

alflauren

Reaction score
I took a brown Floto Torino duffle across Europe for 10 days and it was excellent, so I can recommend that product. Yes, it will get scratched, but that's part of what you're getting into with a leather bag. The upside with leather, however, is that you're far more likely to be able to get the bag into a carry-on space as opposed to a bag with structured sides.

I have mixed feelings about pure garment bags. I have a Samsonite that's about 10 years old that I can't seem to replace. It's a very light nylon, and my clothes only get minimally wrinkled. I tried a Tumi and a Briggs and Riley, and both were heavier and did a much better job of creasing things in odd places.

If you go the Floto route, check eBay first. Floto sells a number of items there more cheaply than on the website.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a garment bag for business travel when I need a suit to absolutely, definitely remain uncreased.

Otherwise, I use a leather bag similar to the one posted by the OP to throw in the boot of the car or as carry on on the plane. They will easily take all the weekend basics including a carefully folded jacket and I think look much nicer than a garment bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads