• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for first dry denim

dhamm

Reaction score
Its hard trying on nice denim in Wisconsin, Ive lived there all my life until a few months ago when I moved to Minneapolis (not much better). Id recommend Nudies, I have a few pairs now and Imm very satisfied.

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
I am going to blow your mind: Context is having a 50% off sale on all non-selvedge sweet denim. Right now. Seriously, I just picked up a pair of SJ dry for $87.50 shipped. Go to them... go to them right now.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I assume they take phone orders? I might have to get in on this--I've been wanting a pair of Slim Jims for a while now....

RBales

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PunctualAlex
I am going to blow your mind: Context is having a 50% off sale on all non-selvedge sweet denim. Right now. Seriously, I just picked up a pair of SJ dry for $87.50 shipped. Go to them... go to them right now.

wow.gif

i haven't even gotten the svens i ordered yet and I think i'll head over there this weekend and pick up another pair of Nudies.

I know the Ralf's get a lot of screentime on this forum, but since the selvedge isn't on sale would it be worth it to get regular dry Ralf's? How much does the selvedge actually affect the quality of the jean/denim?

sorry for all the noob questions
blush.gif

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RBales
wow.gif

i haven't even gotten the svens i ordered yet and I think i'll head over there this weekend and pick up another pair of Nudies.

I know the Ralf's get a lot of screentime on this forum, but since the selvedge isn't on sale would it be worth it to get regular dry Ralf's? How much does the selvedge actually affect the quality of the jean/denim?

sorry for all the noob questions
blush.gif

I have both the selvage Ralfs and the greycast Ralfs. The selvage ones are getting washed soon (after about four or five wears) to keep them "dry" looking, for dress. The grey ones are being broken in the right way. I think both feel very high quality, and while I think the selvage are worth the extra $70 when you compare both at full price, the sale price of the greycast ones vs. full price on the selvage at Context is a good deal.

RBales

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I have both the selvage Ralfs and the greycast Ralfs. The selvage ones are getting washed soon (after about four or five wears) to keep them "dry" looking, for dress. The grey ones are being broken in the right way. I think both feel very high quality, and while I think the selvage are worth the extra $70 when you compare both at full price, the sale price of the greycast ones vs. full price on the selvage at Context is a good deal.

Awesome, I think I'll go try and pick up a pair of those greycast Ralfs then. Hopefully they still have my size. At at 50% off that makes them just under $100? That seems like a pretty good deal.

Yesterday I didn't have any pairs of dry denim and by this weekend I'll have two!
devil.gif

I hope I have the patience to break in both pairs
blush.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the pricings from the Context post at superfuture:

OK everybody, I'm getting a lot of inquiries regarding the summer denim sale
at CONTEXT, so I'll lay the details out here.
We are clearing out product to make room for fall/winter, so ALL DENIM is
50% off thru July except for selvage.
Us SF'rs are usually after dry denim, so dry brands available include; Nudie RRDG $92.50 and Slim Jim Dry Indigo $77.50, (I alsohave RRDS and SSDS, just not on sale), Atelier LaDurance Frontier 14oz. $113,Royal 14oz. $113, Dungaree 11oz. $102 and Novelty 11oz. $113, Iron Army Hiro Ito Raw Black $99,Crate James $66, Uni $71.50 and Sally $66, Corpus Fine Black Rinse Raw $82.50, andLee X-Line 101z $93.50 $ and 101B Cinchback $93.50.
Washed pieces on sale include: Nudie RR Used Sky Blue $92.50 & New-Used Deluxe $102,Straight Sven Rough Indigo $98 and Flare Glenn Super Used $107.50(hard to find-discontinued), Edwin WIN $115 and RAN $121,
Lee X-line Knox $71.50, Stitch's Dakota Baracho $121 and Texas Ash $121, Earnest Sewn Fulton and Filson(the old fit, also discontinued and hard to get) in Mazdark $97,Hutch in Milk Blue $97 and Hemingway in Stone Blue $99.
Shipping in North America is $10, International is $20.
You can PM me or call the store 608-250-0113.
Visa, Mastercard and Discover accepted.
RR Greycast for $92.50 is a damn bargain. I'm thinking about buying a pair as a backup. I feel like such a hoarder.
confused.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Here are the pricings from the Context post at superfuture: RR Greycast for $92.50 is a damn bargain. I'm thinking about buying a pair as a backup. I feel like such a hoarder.
confused.gif

Woah. I feel Satan nudging me towards more denim. And I have not even settled yet on my first dry denim. AAAARGH!
crazy.gif
P.s. do you know if they have any very dark/black dry denim on sale (the Hiro Ito looks too skinny for my tastes. I have skinny legs relatively but I, uhm, don't feel like showing them off like that
tongue.gif
- plus I am not a fan of straight jeans)?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob
How do we get a hold of Context? Do they have a website or are they on SF? Damn those are some good bargains expecially on the RRDG.

From DarkNWorn's post:

call the store 608-250-0113

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
P.s. do you know if they have any very dark/black dry denim on sale (the Hiro Ito looks too skinny for my tastes. I have skinny legs relatively but I, uhm, don't feel like showing them off like that
tongue.gif
- plus I am not a fan of straight jeans)?

I don't know what else they have on sale as I'm not in the area. But it sounds like the Slim Jim is a good candidate for you. It has a 16" thigh andleg opening (according to revolveclothing), so it's not as tapered as you might like.

Now that I think about it, I want a pair. Must....r-e-s-i-s-t...
crazy.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I don't know what else they have on sale as I'm not in the area. But it sounds like the Slim Jim is a good candidate for you. It has a 16" thigh andleg opening (according to revolveclothing), so it's not as tapered as you might like.

Now that I think about it, I want a pair. Must....r-e-s-i-s-t...
crazy.gif

Interesting. Thanks man.

dhamm

Reaction score
HMMM....Ill be close to Madison within the next two weeks.....Might have to stop by and pick up a pair or two

Yudi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RBales
Thanks guys, I went and tried on some straight svens today (since I'm looking for a straighleg) and I loved the fit of the 32's, so now I'm really stuck.

Would you guys recommend sizing down to a 31 on the nudies or would a 32 be best? They have a great price on these at Oi Polloi so if I got them I'd be getting them there. You guys have any experience at that place? Do they just automatically convert the british prices into dollars or is there something I have to do?

Thanks again for all the advice
smile.gif

I've been into the actual Oi Polloi store as I used to live in Manchester. It's a great little place with some awesome clothes. I spoke to the dude there about dry denim for a good few minutes and he was a really nice guy who knew alot about jeans. They're completely legit and definitely worth buying from. Highly recommend them.

The Grapist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jean_connoisseur23
2. sugarcane 1947- this is the second best choice for your starter jean. has a fit similar to 501, straight-cut, low-rise and button-fly. a great levi's repro and a great buy at $175

Next time before you copy paste someone else's posts, make sure that the prices are still the same now as they were six months ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads