suggestions for double monk strap shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tcideneb, Feb 4, 2013.

1. LeeW

LeeW Member

What ever you do don't buy the AS Ramsey in Oak. Mine have just arrived and disappointment is an understatement. The craftsmanship is ordinary (terrible stitching on the straps- crooked and even crossed, the cutting is poor on the top flap (excuse the incorrect terminology) and there are areas which havent even been touched by leather dye! I thought I would give AS a go on the basis that I have several pairs of C&J and I didnt like the length of the C&J Lowndes. I am sending them back to a Fine Pair of Shoes disgusted!

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Some pictures supporting your claims would be great.

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I would highly recomend a pair of John Lobbs. I've never seen anything like the leather they use. Very supple, and they have a whole range of monk styles to chose from.

I just recieved my William IIs the other day. Don't forget to include a pair of there shoe trees in your budget as well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I just picked up this Vass pair in a deep oxblood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They only look this red in bright, direct sunlight:

[​IMG]

At night they look black. Very happy with every aspect the shoe, but particularly the style. Double momks can sometimes look a bit on the clunky side, even as compared with single monks. These are quite sleek.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

5. Erik Vegas

Erik Vegas Member

I own an Alfred Sargent MTO double monk and have different facts from you: great craftsmanship, leather, dye etc. I love these shoes ! From the forum reviews and my shoes I have the opinion that your experience is an exception rather than the norm .

6. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

The only word running through my mind is "Perfection."

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

8. LeeW

LeeW Member

I retract my comment stating 'What ever you do don't buy AS Ramsey' or words to this effect. What I should have written is that I am not impressed with the standard of the shoes... This is in no way a reflection of the very professional business of 'A Fine pair of Shoes' in the UK.

I expected these shoes to exhibit the attention to detail of the standard of C&J...which by drawing a comparison the pictures speak louder than words. This pair of shoes could be a one off though, although for $600 shoes it was not expected.

I hopefully have attached a few photos successfully below for comparison or discussion.

9. LeeW

LeeW Member

Here are a few photos as requested. Hopefully you can clearly see faulty stitching, un dyed exposed areas of leather, un trimmed leather, exposed welt joins. Not to be expected from a $600 pair of shoes I would have thought. These shoes are by no means a direct reflection of the exemplary service of 'A Fine air of Shoes' in the UK. I am hoping that these shoes have just managed to slide through quality control on a Friday afternoon and that they are the exception rather than the rule...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LeeW

LeeW Member

Intriguing that I have supplied photos to 'support my claim' and no one has commented. Surely this is not an 'open and now closed' case...

11. rodaman

rodaman Senior member

I'm also looking for a pair of monk straps, preferably in burgundy. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Any reputable brands for under 250?

12. Exdeath

Exdeath Senior member

I'm craving the Meermin Linea Maestro monkstraps. 260EUR for handwelted top-of-the-range calf and a medallion toe seems pretty sexy to me. Only thing I don't like is that I wish the brown one had brass buckles instead of steel.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

13. rodaman

rodaman Senior member

14. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

15. rodaman

rodaman Senior member