1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Suggestions for Barcelona in December

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Gus, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

My wife and I will be heading to Barcelona then London. This will be our very first visit to Spain. We love finding cafes and restaurants as well as discovering cool and unique stores with anything from antiques, crafts and menswear to home decor.

Do you have any suggestions for meals and interesting shops? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I've found Styleforum to be very helpful in the past for planning my European travels.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

2. Gus

Also, any suggestions for hotels in Madrid or Barcelona? We like smaller, non-chain type places.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

So happens a customer in the cheese shop yesterday is from Barcelona, he recommended this place: http://www.hotelneri.com/es/

4. Gus

Wow, that is one cool looking hotel. I'd be tempted to check-in and just hang out. I love the mix of old-world buildings with modern touches. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

5. Gus

Any great menswear stores in Madrid or Barcelona?

6. Gus

We are now considering just one city in Spain. So Madrid or Barcelona? Any thoughts?

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Distinguished Member

I think my cheese shop knows you are going ;)

Another couple in Friday are MN ex-pats living in Spain near Madrid. They say hands-down Barcelona is the pick, especially since the economic crash. Barcelona has been more resilient with much more to eat, see and do there and nearby FWIW.

8. Gus

Thanks Cary, that is good feedback.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

Search for my prior posts on this subject.

I was last in Barcelona in 2012.

I still want to try Tickets, and its newer relative, 41 Experience (moving after August 2nd).

10. slimandnone

slimandnone Active Member

I have only been to Barcelona, so I can't offer a comparison, but I can say that Barcelona is a really fun city to visit.

As for food/drinks, here are some places I recommend:

El Xampanyet -- a small tapas bar very near the Picasso Museum; order the xampanyet (house-made sparkling wine (I guess it's Catalan for "champagne"))
    Bar Central -- in the back of La Boqueria, the huge food market on La Rambla
    Pla -- http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d803281-Reviews-Pla-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Also, even if places are described as hard to get into, that could mean for the Barcelona dinner time, which is late, like 10:00 or 11:00. If you go "early," like 8:30 or 9:00, it shouldn't be a problem.

Barcelona is pretty walkable, and they have a good Metro system. All the Gaudi and modernista architecture is worth seeing, especially La Sagrada Familia, even if you aren't all that into architecture. I can't say much about the menswear scene -- I'm sure there are good places, but usually when I travel I'm more interested in the eating and drinking and people-watching. They do have a Carmina shop there which would be worth checking out -- I didn't know of Carmina when I visited a few years ago, so I missed out, but my wife and I are planning on visiting Madrid next year so I'll try them there.

And if you go to Madrid instead, I'll look for your comments after you return!

Buen viaje!

11. troika

troika Distinguished Member

I was in Barca last summer and on my way to the Picasso museum I stumbled onto a super rad little SWD menswear store run by one young guy who was also the main tailor. His mainstay was doing bespoke shirts but he also had some nigel cabourn-style outerwear and some really nice trousers. It's probably within a 3-4 block radius of museum but for the life of me I can't seem to find any details about it. If anyone knows who I'm talking about please remind me!!

12. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Found it thanks my old pics!

Oscar H Grand Tailoring
    http://www.oscarhgrand.es/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. John75

John75 Active Member

Barca is great of course, but if you are feeling like you want to get away from the busy city, you can take the train for just a couple of euros (less than 2 I think) to the first town South, Sitges. Sitges has a MUCH nicer beach that is actually natural (whereas Barcelona's beach is man made shipped-in sand with tons of bars and clubs...). Sitges is small and a great little romantic town to walk around for an afternoon if you want to be somewhere more low key and calm...

14. joachim92

joachim92 Well-Known Member

Not a store or restaurant but if you have enough time a daytrip to Montserrat is also a great thing to do!

15. Gus

So, we decided to move our dates around and head to Barcelona and London before Christmas. I understand Barcelona is especially enjoyable during the pre-Christmas season. Thanks for the hotel suggestion from Cary Grant we are staying at the Neri.

Any specific menswear stores that I must visit?