• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for a suit like RLBL (or where to find RLBL).

tubulus

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding a suit. I am looking for a suit that is similar to RLBL. Any suggestions? Let me be more specific about my quest so far:

1. I tried on RLBL today at the Mansion store. It looked fantastic in 40R - I run from 38s (Hugo boss) to 40R, depending on brand. Sadly, Ralph Lauren has no 40Rs or 40s in stock in plain navy in the entire country. I can wait a little while, but not too long (for my wedding). I know I could do MTM at Ralph Lauren, but it seems more expensive than it's worth. The saleswoman claimed that the RLBL suits were half-canvassed - I had thought otherwise- but if that's the case then $2000 or a MTM sounds like too much.

2. I tried on a Zegna "special" that was supposedly a cut made for my local store (Mitchell's/Richard's in CT). It had striped fabric under the color - does this cut actually exist outside of these stores? Fit great but was above my budget at retail (and they never discount).

3. BB Fitzgerald looked horrible. I know it's supposed to be the slim cut, but I think it looked boxy and totally unflattering.

4. Hickey Freeman jackets fit well, but all of the suits I've seen have pleats, which I refuse to wear.

5. Canali could be an option.

6. To make matters slightly more difficult, any brand with very tight pants is out as I have rather large thighs. This also makes it difficult to fit in a 38 suit with a 6" drop and impossible with a 7".

So my questions are:
1. Where else can I find RLBL? Do any department stores carry it? I assume the RL outlets don't have it - or will they be on a different inventory system then the main stores?

2. What other brands should I be looking at? I feel like I've tried on all the brands at Bloomingdales, etc in my price range (<1500).

3. If all else fails, which of the relatively affordable NYC tailors (Mr. Ned, Ercole, etc) would be best for a slimmer cut, flat front suit.

4. If I go bespoke, should I get peak lapels? (I tried on a RLPL with peak lapel and a ticket pocket and I'm kind of obsessed now...)

Thanks soooo much in advance. I really appreciate all I've learned by reading these threads.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman. I don't think Bloomingdales carry any higher level of Ralph Lauren(BL or PL). Ralph Lauren Outlet at Woodbury or regular Polo Factory Outlet Store.

2. Canali, Corneliani, Zegna, Isaia. ETC.

3. Don't know about that.

4. If you already have basic suit(solid navy or solid charcoal with notch lapel), it's up to you.

Aksel Paris

Reaction score
Can you share some pics to make me aware about RLBL Suit?
shog[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads