1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

suggestions for a starter weightlifting program..

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mayborne, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

unfortunately I'm unable to further elucidate the cost structure of weightlifting disc manufacturers... good branding maybe? niche pricing? supply and demand? It's obvious that at least Eleiko gets a huge mark-up for being the official manufacturer for the international circuit. They make good stuff and I'm not griping about the price, only that they run a lot more than your normal 45lb solid plates.

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I would just get cheap ones unless you were really competitively lifting. I lifted with Eleikos when I was training Oly and they were amazing, just stayed right on the bar like nothing, but I have no idea how Rogue's nicer ones compare.

Why do you hate Rippie's advice on PCs? Not that I paid that much attention to it since I usually squat snatch instead.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

well as an OLer I have a slight aversion to the jump shrug stuff that gets toted when power cleans are discussed. also because imo pcs are for an OLer an advanced lift to sub for the classical lifts on lighter days. IIRC there wasn't a lot of emphasis on hip action which is really the heart of the 2nd pull. Basically to learn the clean, the emphasis should be on the 3rd pull which is really what makes a decent clean, thus learning the pc first is an ass-backwards way to go about things... but I digress.

I do see why it's in the book, and not all ppl are going to be full on OLers anyways, so fuck it.

goddamn I'm good at thread derailment :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

It is about dynamic power - which is also what Louie Simmons has found - some explosive lifting can help with pure strength. I agree it isn't a perfect teaching, and, in general, you shouldn't lift Oly if you aren't being coached properly - so teaching from a book is a bit irresponsible. Could always do goblet squat jumps for a lot of the same training effect.

5. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Honestly, focus on only compounds 'cause that is the best thing that you can do for yourself. I don't recommend SS, because beginners don't have proper for to lift at that intensity. Beginners will benefit just as much from training in the 5-8 rep range, as the 8-12 rep range for the first several months(studies have indicated up to 6). Generic Power Bench Press(I do 15-30* incline), Chin ups(I don't believe the opinion that pull ups develop better lats), Squat, Dead, and DB Should Press. The only accessory movement I do is a tricep dip with a weight belt. Many people I know have gotten large biceps without every consistently doing curls or any variation of curls(waste of time). Accessory movements are a waste of time, unless you're training for a specific sport. It seems your goal is overall fitness and you should stick with compounds as that will train many things. Studies have indicated that after 1-2 sets, any additional ones only expend energy. I would only do a 3rd one if you want to focus on improving technique. So go full body 3-4x/week and properly warm up using reverse pyramids. 2 sets of 8-12 reps of the above compounds and get out. Be efficient.