1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

suggestions for a starter weightlifting program..

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mayborne, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mayborne

mayborne Well-Known Member

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Built-in bar? Sounds like a smith machine. Avoid.

3. mayborne

ahh yes i believe it is. it's easy to use tho hehe! i want one in my home.

i'll try to do squats on the real power rack next time..
    [​IMG]

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

smith machines are not good for several reasons. definitely use a real power rack from now on!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  5. mayborne

squats from a power rack wasn't as hard as i initially thought. i'm getting one for home use. maybe also a bench press (the contraption i saw kinda had the bench built in already but yeah freeweights still).

also everyone keeps telling me i should do something else like dropsets or something when they see me doing my 5x5 LOL!

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

If you get a power rack then you can just get a separate bench (without attached rack arms) and put it inside the rack when you want to bench press.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Just buy Starting Strength, new third edition just came out. Do the program for year and then come back and worry about the rest.

8. Itsdigits

Itsdigits Member

Someone said switch to barbells... this isn' t necessary, just get dumbells that have more capacity (wider version). I haven' t had problems with the ROM on wider dumbells.

9. Itsdigits

Itsdigits Member

*double post*

10. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Yeah, dumbbells work really well for squats, wut?

11. akatsuki

Good luck finding dumbbells that are 150#+ to deadlift or maybe double that to goblet squat.

Get a barbell, some serious weight, bumpers if you can swing them so you can power clean, and a pull-up bar. That is all you need to get stronger for a long time.

12. mayborne

[​IMG]

was thinking the same thing. perhaps this would work better? i don't think i'd drop the bar anyways.

13. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

can't dump a squat as safely out of that. Can't do rack pulls. Would recommend a full cage.

14. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

Go to scoobysworkshop.com, watch and read everything on there before you even lift 1 lb, you must first learn proper form and nutrition basics

15. akatsuki

I'd just spend the money on bumpers over a cage so you can drop weight freely - maybe it is my personal preference to do cleans and more Westside style dynamic days. But it all depends on your situation.

16. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Never feel comfortable just dropping the bar off my back onto the floor. Always feels like im gonna hurt myself. Prefer to just set it down onto pins. Probably won't hurt yourself just dropping it off your back though. I would not be surprised if the cost for bumpers over metal plates is greater then the cost difference of a cage over stands.
    Scooby says squats are bad, disregard scooby.

17. akatsuki

Who the hell is scooby anyway? Not sure why anyone would listen to anything some random joe on the internet posts versus a real trainer with real results like Rippetoe or Louie Simmons.

18. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

Good weightlifting discs will deffo run you a lot more than a regular set of plates, but if you're going to do srs OL stuff, they're ofc required. Hate rippletits' advice on the power clean, other than that SS is pretty solid.

19. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Do you know why they're so expensive? I know they're very accurate weight as in a 25kg plate is at most like 25.005kg or something when it comes out of the factory and they look nice, but for the cost of a 25kg eleiko or ivanko plate you could probably buy a few hundred pounds of crappy metal plates.

20. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Not to mention this guy is average gym rat size at best.