1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suggestions for a sportcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yachtie, May 12, 2006.

1. yachtie

yachtie Distinguished Member

I'm looking to have a sportcoat made out of the gold/taupe windowpane below

And I was wondering what is the preferred cut for a material of this type? I was thinking of SB with PL, one or two buttons and side vents. (I may wear it open) Should it have a plain back or some detail? (This is for casual wear)
    Thanks for your suggentions /advice
    [​IMG]

2. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Looks very nice. Personally, I would get that it in a notch lapel, single breasted, side vents with a plain back, and a trim fit. I would definitely be careful on getting it too loose, because of the large pattern.

The more plain the material, the more likely I am to want unique styling details. Peak lapels are classic, but a lot of people will see them as a fashion trend, a la ticket pockets and functioning buttonholes.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

3 button, notch lapels, patch pockets, side vents.

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

3 button, notch lapels, patch pockets, side vents.

What he said! Smokey taupe buttons too.

5. jml90

jml90 Distinguished Member

I'm looking to have a sportcoat made out of the gold/taupe windowpane below

And I was wondering what is the preferred cut for a material of this type? I was thinking of SB with PL, one or two buttons and side vents. (I may wear it open) Should it have a plain back or some detail? (This is for casual wear)
    Thanks for your suggentions /advice

Tucker Carlson wore a very nice sportcoat similar to the one you describe last night but Notch lapels

6. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Only get the patch pockets if you aren't "hippy." Some of us learn that the hard way. [​IMG]

7. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

That windowpane is nice. If you're slender, just make sure the panes aren't too large for your physique -- a large windowpane in that color on a slender person could be overwhelming.

8. yachtie

yachtie Distinguished Member

The more I think about it I agree that notch lapel is the way to go. I think if I were to go 3 button it'd be rolled to 2 ( I don't want to show too much horizontal line from the pattern) Thanks for the suggestions! Any back detail you'd recommend?