• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for a slimmer Filson-style jacket?

highball

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before in various different forms, but even going back through a number of previous posts I haven't been able to find something that meets my needs.

I've been looking for a casual and warm military or hunting style jacket for a while now. I ordered a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser which was perfect in terms of style and warmth. However, even though I'm usually a 37 chest, the smallest size (36) was too baggy and long in the torso, and the sleeves were a touch too long.

I'm hoping to find something similar (possibly on sale now that the season's nearly over) but a lot more fitted. Could be cotton or wool as long as it's insulated enough to be worn in fall and most days in winter. Any of you guys have suggestions? Thanks.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1 on the wings+horns mackinaw, it's basically a slimmed down version of the filson (in cotton)

I'm selling a medium one but it would definitely be too big for you since it fit my 41' chest (albeit a tad snug), a small or xsmall (if it exists) should fit the bill.

I believe blackbird or roden gray might still have it at discounted prices, check them out.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adelphi
maybe you can get it tailored...

I thought about that but with the multiple alterations that would need to be done, the cost of the tailoring would approach the cost of the jacket. Plus, with the "cruiser" pocket across the back i'm not sure if it could be taken in much in the body without messing things up.

Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
wings and horns mackinaw

Originally Posted by sipang
^ +1 on the wings+horns mackinaw, it's basically a slimmed down version of the filson (in cotton)

I'm selling a medium one but it would definitely be too big for you since it fit my 41' chest (albeit a tad snug), a small or xsmall (if it exists) should fit the bill.

I believe blackbird or roden gray might still have it at discounted prices, check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like a good option. I'd be worried about the jacket being too long though since I'm pretty short. Does anyone know what the approximate jacket length on this is?

Also, does anyone have experience with the W+H M65 jacket? Is it as heavy as the mackinaw?

Still open to other suggestions. Any ideas? I like the look of something like this or this, though the first seems to be a more generous cut. Thanks for all the input, guys.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gilt has some good jackets right now that are military and hunting style.

pcl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
I know this has been asked before in various different forms, but even going back through a number of previous posts I haven't been able to find something that meets my needs.

I've been looking for a casual and warm military or hunting style jacket for a while now. I ordered a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser which was perfect in terms of style and warmth. However, even though I'm usually a 37 chest, the smallest size (36) was too baggy and long in the torso, and the sleeves were a touch too long.

I'm hoping to find something similar (possibly on sale now that the season's nearly over) but a lot more fitted. Could be cotton or wool as long as it's insulated enough to be worn in fall and most days in winter. Any of you guys have suggestions? Thanks.

Why? That's how the garment is supposed to be. Its purpose is a "real" hunting jacket (as opposed to just looking like one in a pose) - as such you need to be able to carry lots of stuff, allow layering as well as venting in different weather conditions, cover your body against mud and rock and vegetation, and still move your torso and arm quickly and easily through a full range of motion.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pcl
Why? That's how the garment is supposed to be. Its purpose is a "real" hunting jacket (as opposed to just looking like one in a pose) - as such you need to be able to carry lots of stuff, allow layering as well as venting in different weather conditions, cover your body against mud and rock and vegetation, and still move your torso and arm quickly and easily through a full range of motion.

Let's face it, in this day and age there's better gear out there for hunting/hiking/outdoors than a wool jacket. If I'm going hiking/climbing/camping in adverse conditions I'm not going to be wearing a field jacket. I am looking for something strictly for around town wear, hence the fit concerns. It is styleforum after all.

Also, it's been a few months since I've held a shotgun but I'm pretty sure sleeves that are long enough to cover one's hand/forefinger would have made things a little difficult...

basho

Reaction score
I've noticed that Filson does custom orders, but never heard of anyone doing it. I thought about it, though, especially after falling in love with the Mackinaw Cruiser and swimming in their smallest size. Maybe they could make a slimmer fit for you? Info at the Filson site here

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by basho
I've noticed that Filson does custom orders, but never heard of anyone doing it. I thought about it, though, especially after falling in love with the Mackinaw Cruiser and swimming in their smallest size. Maybe they could make a slimmer fit for you?

Info at the Filson site here

Excellent thanks. I'll definitely look into that. I also was back on the website and noticed they have some very similar styles in women's sizes too, however I hope it doesn't come down to that...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
Let's face it, in this day and age there's better gear out there for hunting/hiking/outdoors than a wool jacket. If I'm going hiking/climbing/camping in adverse conditions I'm not going to be wearing a field jacket. I am looking for something strictly for around town wear, hence the fit concerns. It is styleforum after all.

Also, it's been a few months since I've held a shotgun but I'm pretty sure sleeves that are long enough to cover one's hand/forefinger would have made things a little difficult...

Wrong, wool is still considered the best all around fabric for adverse conditions. It insulates when soaking wet, it absorbs 30 percent of it's weight in moisture and still feels dry, it's breathable and tough as nails and it is quiet in the woods.

Another thing is there is no sense in trying to equate wool to cotton. Cotton in the outdoors world is known as the killer fabric. Wear it when it's cold and get soaked and in about 30 seconds you'll know why.

The sleeves are long for a reason, especially when one is on horseback or working at or above shoulder height arms out stretched. Why? Simple answer is you don't want your wrists exposed to the elements. Think heat lose. Same goes for the added back length.

Style is a relative thing. I personally hate the non functional utterly useless clothing that "stylish" companies try to pawn as rustic outdoorsy. It isn't and never will be.

BTW the sleeve length is of no consequence when shouldering a shotgun properly. If anything you do not want any binding at all anywhere when you swing and shoot.

highball

Reaction score
^ All good points. To be clear, I don't have anything against wool, and in fact I wear it quite often when I'm in the woods for short periods of time. It definitely has better abrasion-resistance than most any other fabric. My issue with wool is the weight. If I'm going to be carrying it far into the backcountry I don't want to lug around the weight of wool. For warmth and water resistance I think you get a lot better bang for your pound by carrying/wearing something like 700+ fill down and a lightwight rain layer. Cotton is obviously out. I agree on sleeve length, the only reason I have a problem is because I have disproportionately short arms and do not like to keep pushing my sleeves up.

I'm not interested in turning this thread into a debate over the relative merits of different materials used for outdoors gear, or the relationship between style and functionality. Suffice it to say I am someone who likes to keep my outdoors clothes and around town clothes separate, at the very least so as to avoid wearing something that has come back mud-stained to the office the next day. To reiterate, I'm not looking for a practical jacket, I have too may of those already. I'm looking for something that looks good and fits well. Many of you have already made suggestions that fit this bill and I appreciate your input thus far. I'm going to look more into these and if I go with the Filson custom order I'll let everyone know details. Thanks, all.

planetofsound

Reaction score
is the size 36 really that huge? I've read all kinds of mixed things on here in regards to the sizing. been wanting to pick one up for awhile.

basho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by planetofsound
is the size 36 really that huge? I've read all kinds of mixed things on here in regards to the sizing. been wanting to pick one up for awhile.

Yeah, it was big on me and I'm a 36. I'm sure that's the way it's supposed to fit, being hunting wear and all. But it felt like a tent to me. Otherwise I loved it - great fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads