• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for a new professional wardrobe

Jt787

Reaction score
I'm a recent university graduate and I expect to be working in the banking industry in the near future. I only have 2 suits in my wardrobe, and they're rubbish! Both of them are from Topman. One is a navy blue color, and the other one is black. I also have two pairs of formal shoes, both are from Aldo.

I need some suggestions as to where to go shopping for a brand new suit and a pair of quality shoes.

I'm located in the middle-east (Kuwait) and we have all the high-luxury stores (boss,prada,armani,etc) & pretty much everything else (zara, topman, h&M)

I'm willing to spend between $1500-$2000 for both. I wish I was in the UK because I remember discovering the store Reece. They had some pimpin' suits.

Oh and I'm a fairly skinny guy: 142 lbs, 5'10 (chest size is usually between 37-38)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Suit Supply. Free shipping both ways, and they have a number of styles, so you're likely to find at least one that works for you. Half-canvassed construction, pretty decent fabrics. For what they give you for $500ish, I don't think there's any value in stepping up to the $750-1000 range, unless you want to start searching for deals and paying much less than retail. In that case, be careful you still pick conservative, versatile suits in solid gray and navy. Could start at sartoriale.com, ehaberdasher.com, virtualclotheshorse.com. And it may take more work to find something that fits you well. If you don't already know your style and your body and what you're looking for, this could be risky.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
+2 on Suit Supply.

I have suits from Canali, Zegna and Corneliani and Suit Supply. I love them all equally, and they all look and fit equally fantastic. The Suit supply just happens to cost 25% what the other ones cost. If I can pick up another Italian suit for a major sale, I will do so. Otherwise I'm very happy to pay full retail pricing for Suit Supply. Their middle 'Blue line' at $470 USD is a great value.

And stay away from Reiss and Boss. Educate yourself on Styleforum about construction, fit and fabric, and then head back out into the world of retail. I, like many here, bought a Boss suit before I learned about such things and I wish I never had bought it. I would feel worse if I didn't get it for 70% off

Last edited:

Jt787

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I've checked out Suit Supply and I'm very impressed with their catalogue. I just need to my local tailor and get my measurements before I make a purchase. I've also checked out www.herringshoes.co.uk and the shoes look beautiful.

Jt787

Reaction score
@Birks and Grey socks: I'm surprised with your comment about the Boss suit. But you're right, I do need to educate myself more about fabric and fit.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score

@Birks and Grey socks: I'm surprised with your comment about the Boss suit. But you're right, I do need to educate myself more about fabric and fit.

I'm not saying it's crap. Because it's not. It's just not worth anywhere near its retail price. I paid less than $350 for mine which is what I would say it's worth. But after finding Suitsupply, I can't imagine why I would buy another Boss when I can get a Suitsupply midline for $470. Boss is not bad if you are in shape and resemble their ideal fit. But even then, the fused construction makes the shoulders and chest not drape nearly as well as many other brands. Spend a day trying on suits from Boss and other proper canvassed suits (Zegna, Canali...etc.) and you'll see what I mean

Jt787

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I want to purchase from Suit Supply. I think the reason being is that shipping to Kuwait can take a while, and its quite risky not trying on the suit before I buy it.

What do you guys think of Boggi? Right now, everything is on 40-50%. Is it good quality?

I've also checked out the shopping mall and Paul Smith has everything on 40-60%, Massimo Dutti has a sale, Zara has new suits from their spring/summer collection (around $330 for a suit), and Hugo Boss has a sale.

colinbc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hugo Boss, try them all out and see what fits you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads