1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and opinions about a new dressing room

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I second the motion for open racks and shelves. Closet doors and drawers don't really do much to keep out dust and moths anyway, so you might as well be able to see and more easily access your clothes. I believe this will also make the room feel more spacious.

My wife and I recently converted an extra bedroom into a dressing room (on a much smaller scale than your project), and we have two regrets about the final result. First, our mirror area is too small and rather poorly lit. Second, we don't have a large enough flat surface anywhere in the room on which to fold sweaters. Something to consider as you plan the details.

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

What was your profession?

He had a small animal husbandry business in New Hampshire.

I set a goal to not have a serious job until I reached 45, so far I am on track.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Moths are an exterminating issue. They are smart and wait for you to open the door and then enter the dining room.

Don't they make computerized laser guns for targeting insects now? That could be a fun addition.

4. R-H

R-H Senior member

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

^Are those converse seconds?

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Niles had a fireplace.

7. adagio

adagio Senior member

Vox, don't know if you are looking for suggestions regarding the fittings/closets etc. How about these bespoke by David (Lord) Linley? [​IMG]

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I would not want to look at storage while dressing. It does not matter how pretty the cabinets are, I don't see why they need to be in the room that it used for getting dressed. There was a good story in Esquire I think about a father who had his 100 suits on a dry cleaner's belt; it snaked through the attic to touch down behind a closet door.

I suggest one room for storage, another for dressing. Dressing room should have abundant light and fresh air, for feeling the weather and later, after undressing, for hanging things to breathe. Also whatever furnishings are convenient for dressing and undressing. Ironing board, flat surfaces, places to sit, mirrors, speakers, computer, whatever. And I'd want the dressing area to connect to a bath.

Also, sorry I missed the pictures that appear to have been deleted from the threak.

9. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

that was quick.

who hurt Vox's feelings to have him yank the pics?

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

that was quick.

who hurt Vox's feelings to have him yank the pics?

[​IMG] You're first mistake is to assume that I have feelings.

- B

11. voxsartoria

Also, sorry I missed the pictures that appear to have been deleted from the threak.

Great suggestions, and mostly already incorporated into the room. The OP was lengthy and well illustrated, and I'm sorry that you missed them since you have good thoughts on the subject.

- B

12. forex

forex Senior member

This is the worst thread in the history of StyleForum,hell it is in the history of interwebz.

13. voxsartoria

This is the worst thread in the history of StyleForum,hell it is in the history of interwebz.

Thank you. I work hard to inhabit the world of superlatives when I can, and it is nice when that effort is recognized.

- B

14. Doxe

Doxe Senior member

If you're retired, are you still going to go to the effort of putting on a suit everyday?

15. voxsartoria

If you're retired, are you still going to go to the effort of putting on a suit everyday?

I'm busier, so far, than I was before. I expect that I'll be in coat and tie for about the same number of days each week, but with shorter days.

- B

16. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I expect that I'll be in coat and tie for about the same number of days each week, but with shorter days.

- B

If you get elected to public office, will you bother wearing pants? [​IMG]

17. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

[​IMG] You're first mistake is to assume that I have feelings.

- B

lol ... come on Vox ... you hurt my feelings with your use of you're.

but in all seriousness, it would have been nice to see the pics. Care to share again?

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You've been to a Banana Republic store, right? Now imagine you take all the people out and all the clothes off the racks and shelves, shrink it to 150 sq ft, sketch it on a cheap CAD software... Here you go [​IMG]

19. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

The dressing room could also connect to a balcony.

A widow's walk might do, but I think a balcony that is partially covered would be better for hanging garments to air.

Banana Republic does not sound much like I'm daydreaming about. Perhaps it is good I did not see the pictures.

20. voxsartoria

You've been to a Banana Republic store, right? Now imagine you take all the people out and all the clothes off the racks and shelves, shrink it to 150 sq ft, sketch it on a cheap CAD software... Here you go [​IMG]

375 sq ft, but otherwise, yes.

I hope to have a clerk who folds and has an earpiece.

- B