Suggestions and opinions about a new dressing room

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Oct 15, 2010.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

UV filters or whatever on the windows and skylight to prevent sun fading? I suppose it probably goes without saying, but I said it anyway.

Need to know how you store your suits, jackets & trousers as in do you hang the trousers form the cuff on one hanger, separately on its own hanger or over the hanger bar? Do you hang shirts in here or are they folded? Do you want to hang ties in the open or store them?
    D is the only area with enough length to hang trousers or topcoats if you want topcoats in this room at all. Makes sense to keep topcoats elsewhere. Why take them up stairs if you don't have to.
    Need to calculate the spacing needed and what the capacity will be. Recently helped a client with this, he had the room built to hold 120 suits plus shirts, shoes, sweaters, plus an area for an iron and pressing board for touch ups. I'll check on some of the small details that worked well.
    Some clients use a center island to hold shoes and sweaters, but it kills the open flow in the room. Having glass doors reduces usable space.

Poliform takes forever to get and can be made by a craftsman.

Things that I hadn't considered...thank you.

- B

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Looks like store. [​IMG]

What's wrong with that? I think many people, women in particular, "dream" of having closets that either look like closets mainly seen in magazines or is laid out like a store. Sure beats what you find in most homes, especially cookie cutter houses. Wish I could customize a closet.

B - as Despos alluded to, will you also have a "staging" area for dress, such as a three way mirror and seating for you to put on shoes (unless that will be accounted for elsewhere, such as near one of the doors)?

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What's wrong with that? I think many people, women in particular, "dream" of having closets that either look like closets mainly seen in magazines or is laid out like a store.
    I guess that's the case. I don't like that concept at all. I prefer a dressing room that doesn't look like my local Banana Republic store with open racks, etc...

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I'm rather stunned by the fact that you won't have enough room for all clothes, that you still have to move seasonal to the basement.

You will have to send us the wardrobe pics when it's finished.

Once it's done, I'm going to try hard to edit down further. We'll see.

- B

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I guess that's the case. I don't like that concept at all. I prefer a dressing room that doesn't look like my local Banana Republic store with open racks, etc...

Well, that's one of my concerns as well. The alternative is all enclosed in gloss white...our walls are matte white and the floors are dark brown cork.

Open racks do seem more convenient, though. There's also the moth issue to consider.

- B

6. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

This seems to be consistent with your general aesthetic preference. IIR you also hate seeing TVs mounted on walls and would rather have them covered up by some sliding wall unit. Because the closet is it's separate room, it appears perfectly appropriate to have that separate space be open. But I guess we disagree.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Living the dream . . . Cool project, can't wait to hear about the progress.
    I'm told that renovations can be nightmares, though. [​IMG] - B

8. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Glass on the front of the pull out drawers lets you see what is there without opening the drawer. Can be lightly frosted.
    Have to think about belts and accessories and how handy you want everything.
    Moths are an exterminating issue. They are smart and wait for you to open the door and then enter the dining room.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This seems to be consistent with your general aesthetic preference. IIR you also hate seeing TVs mounted on walls and would rather have them covered up by some sliding wall unit.
    Yes - I loathe seeing my TV in my living room. But I also detest massive wall units so I'm going for the lesser evil...

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I suggest framed prints of some of Styleforum's Greatest Hits such as:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

^^ J, how about projecting those images on the ceiling?

- B

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Glass on the front of the pull out drawers lets you see what is there without opening the drawer. Can be lightly frosted.
    Have to think about belts and accessories and how handy you want everything.
    Moths are an exterminating issue. They are smart and wait for you to open the door and then enter the dining room.

Thank you.

- B

13. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

- B
    Jesus H. - TC

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

^^ J, how about projecting those images on the ceiling?

- B

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

15. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

Besides the light which was the first thing that came to mind, you should consider an air filter to try to control dust on the shoulders of suits.

Same would go for shoes if left out in the open.