• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions and comments for a London Lounge Gun Club jacket

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Ask him, He's from Scotland.
6a00b8ea06ece0dece00c2251c31a2549d-500pi

I believe he's moved on to become quite the gentleman farmer:

http://www.fatbastardwine.com/our-wines.php

Does he now, wear brown?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I just got one this winter, and agree with you completely. Yes, it gives. Yes, I might have to have someone take it in a bit after the first cleaning/pressing.

Who cares? I also like single-ply V-neck sweaters, but don't pretend they are the perfect solution to every clothing situation. A&S seem to have figured out how to tailor the stuff: that is one firm more than none, and more or less all I need.

There is also a length of gun check in my drawer waiting to be made up, and a bunch of other equally nasty tweeds already hanging up and ready for me to wear. They have a different application. Horses for courses.

I'm surprised you have a jacket like this cleaned. I never have clothes dry cleaned as a matter of principle because it destroys them. Steaming and sponging allied with strict rotation are the solutions. I'm certainly not going to have this one cleaned.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That not a Shetland, not even close. Breanish is a Shetland.

It is indeed a shetland and that why I like it and the incredibly soft hand and relative feather lightness for a tweed.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
FWIW, here is a scan of relatively traditional shetland.

fab001mj1.jpg

That looks like a sample of what I got from Lovat. Now that's soft.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
I'm surprised you have a jacket like this cleaned. I never have clothes dry cleaned as a matter of principle because it destroys them. Steaming and sponging allied with strict rotation are the solutions. I'm certainly not going to have this one cleaned.

At the moment, I haven't done anything to it. But some day, I might have to. Certainly, winter clothes can go longer without cleaning than most people think.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I have a length of the gun club as well. Likely, I will not be making it up, as it is too dark for my personal taste.

Hmmm...it looks dark in person? Or is it the contrast dark elements that don't appeal to you? I say that because many of your tweed coats are "blurry," with visual bleedthrough of colors, which makes for more subtle effect than this gun club check.

I wouldn't have sought it out on purpose, but I am happy to have had it fall in my lap.

Another question for all of you:

One button or two on the cuff? If I did one, I would do the same size as the front buttons, if two, the normal smaller sleeve button size. I'm leaning toward one.

So far, I have not read anything that is pursuading me to alter my path, which as of the moment is:

* SB, three button front, side vents

* Patch hip pockets and patch breast pocket (debating button closes on the hip pockets, like in the Meyer & Mortimer sample from pejsek that I posted earlier)

* 3 roll to 3, with swelled edges on the lapels.

* and if my tailor can stand doing it, a quarter lining.

For those who don't know it, this coat would be done in a Scholte/A&S style draped cut, if that makes a difference to you.

- B

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would love to buy some of that LL gunclub cloth. I may pm Michael Alden and see if there is any left.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I would love to buy some of that LL gunclub cloth. I may pm Michael Alden and see if there is any left.

PM Matt...no reason why his length should lie dormant in his drawer if he's not going to use it.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley

Long gone.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also have a 2.5 or 3 meter length sitting unmade in my office cradenza.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
So far, I have not read anything that is pursuading me to alter my path

Well then you are just stubborn, and cannot be well advised.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Long gone.

You're a cloth hoarding machine!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PM Matt...no reason why his length should lie dormant in his drawer if he's not going to use it.

- B

Somebody else already did.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
* 3 roll to 3, with swelled edges on the lapels.

With the roll that high, would you be fastening the top button? With such a cloth, I'd think you'd want to show off the roll more and have it go lower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads