• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suggestion for tailoring of blazer?

Rangoe

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here - I've already spent an hour browsing through other discussions and look forward to contributing!

I have a question - I really really like a blazer I saw... trouble is, I'm 36 Short. And it's only made in either 36 Regular (way too long) or 38 Short (too loose in the body/chest). This has kind of put me off buying it, but I thought maybe one or the other could be tailored. Am I better off getting a tailor to chop off the length (on a 36 Regular), or tapering in the fit to get it from 38 to 36 (on a 38 Short)?

I don't know much about tailoring, but instincively, it would seem that cutting from the bottom would distort the entire proportion of the jacket, while tapering the fit might be feasible? Any advice?

Thanks so much, appreciate the input...

Cheers! J.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither is ideal. Chopping down a 36R will leave the button stance and pockets too low. Taking-in a 38S will leave you with pockets too far back (from the sides being nipped), big shoulders, and loose sleeves. I would find another blazer. I am a 38S and have once caved-in to buy a 38R only to regret it greatly later (the garment is now, to my eye, unwearable, even though guys with less exacting tastes might think it looks fine). Do yourself a favor and wait for something better to come along.

Rangoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Neither is ideal. Chopping down a 36R will leave the button stance and pockets too low. Taking-in a 38S will leave you with pockets too far back (from the sides being nipped), big shoulders, and loose sleeves. I would find another blazer. I am a 38S and have once caved-in to buy a 38R only to regret it greatly later (the garment is now, to my eye, unwearable, even though guys with less exacting tastes might think it looks fine). Do yourself a favor and wait for something better to come along.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your input, Bull. You're absolutely right. Sometimes, you really want something to the point where you ignore the rational...I'll wait for something that actually fits.

Cheers!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.