• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestion for loafers

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy myself a pair of loafers. I want them to be kind of my beater shoes so am not looking to spend much money. Probably no more than $100. I am clueless when it comes to loafers so would appreciate if you could suggest which brands I should try and get in my budget and where I should be looking for good discounts / sales.

kevina

Reaction score
i've been on a similar search and went with some cheap jcrew loafers from their online sale. not bad for beaters, but if i had tried them on in person, I probably wouldn't have bought them.

it's a good thing i only wasted $48. the leather sole is more like cardboard, and the leather used for the upper wasn't what i expected either. also, there were some stitchings near the top that are scratchy.

anyway, my point is, just visit a lot of stores and try a large variety on to get an idea of where you want your budget and needs to meet.

wear the outfit you're thinking of, especially the pants and socks (or barefoot).

decide what kind of sole you want and then what style you want (high vamp, low vamp. penny, tassle, buckle, clean).

also, notice the weight of the shoe. I try to stay away from the heavy rubber soled ones.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll do the rounds of the local stores and also check out all the online links.

pendragon

Reaction score
I bought a pair from landsend.com and they were perfectly decent mid range quality.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone had experience with Donald J Pliner? I saw a few in my size going sub $100 at a local NM outlet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics