• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestion for a Tuxedo

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you've got thousands of dollars of disposable cash, then good on you. But I just don't see the need to drop a few grand on a tux. They can be had so much more affordably.

Each to his own. A bespoke garment will last many years, feel better and so if you have cause to wear one regularly is wise investment.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had bespoke from 2k ish range, while it was good, it never blew me away (it was something on the simplier side, typical 3 piece in a more English flavored cut). So guess that's why I have not considered bespoke as the holy grail.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Checked Paul Stuart, to make their tux into midnight blue will cost you another 700~800 (they do have one tuxedo jacket in midnight blue from last season, but no pants), so I would count that out for now.

Went to BB as well, it's sub 2K for Milano or Fitz, though they need to check if the satin lapel can also be done in midnight blue.

Correct me if I am wrong, but why would the lapel need to be midnight blue? I would think black would be more desirable if you are going for the dark/light effects of the midnight blue tux. (This is a rhetorical question mostly for others but feel free to answer it.)

I have no idea what's the James Bond reference regarding to midnight blue tux...
You must not follow popular culture, have googled "midnight blue tuxedo", or read a recent men's magazines then. No problem. To each their own.

rob

Reaction score
No need for lapels to be midnight blue.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Correct me if I am wrong, but why would the lapel need to be midnight blue? I would think black would be more desirable if you are going for the dark/light effects of the midnight blue tux. (This is a rhetorical question mostly for others but feel free to answer it.)
You must not follow popular culture, have googled "midnight blue tuxedo", or read a recent men's magazines then. No problem. To each their own.

No idea why, but a dark blue (not midnight, too dark) lapel against a black tuxedo looks fantastic, while a black lapel against a midnight blue just looks a bit off to my eye. I guess I want the darkest color to be the majority

oh yeah and I just googled midnight blue tuxedo, I guess I got what you meant. It's something I have wanted since 5~6 years ago, no idea when it caught on.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No need for lapels to be midnight blue.
\

I was thinking a lighter shade of blue with high shine would work, but would need to see material in person to tell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads