• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggested winter clothing for grad school in Boston?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will hopefully be flying to Boston in a few months to begin a Master of Laws degree in September. However, I come from a tropical country and have no clue whatsoever as to what winter clothing is like. I mean, I have a general idea, but I don't want to get stuck with a fleece fit for a ten year old in the university.

Would you guys mind linking some good eBay auctions for winter items or something, so I could have an idea not just what items to be sure to get, but so that I get a little style out of this?

Also, I know some people suggested cashmere sweaters and the like, but might those be impractical for me as I'd use them for one winter then never touch them again when I go back home to my equatorial abode?

billiebob

Reaction score
I own the Marmot 8000 meter parka. You will too come December.

If you are planning anything outside, may I suggest the Marmot 8000 meter suit?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I will hopefully be flying to Boston in a few months to begin a Master of Laws degree in September. However, I come from a tropical country and have no clue whatsoever as to what winter clothing is like. I mean, I have a general idea, but I don't want to get stuck with a fleece fit for a ten year old in the university.

Would you guys mind linking some good eBay auctions for winter items or something, so I could have an idea not just what items to be sure to get, but so that I get a little style out of this?

Also, I know some people suggested cashmere sweaters and the like, but might those be impractical for me as I'd use them for one winter then never touch them again when I go back home to my equatorial abode?

Just PM me when you get here and I'll get you geared up on the cheap. I am on good terms with a local merchant who sells Patagonia, Arteryx, etc..., and can probably swing you a deal. You want something 1) With a hood, and 2) with a zip out fleece lining. If you don't want to go technical gear, go to STP and get a Gloverall duffel coat. They are the lower end quality ones, but are heavy and warm. Put it this way. On the coldest days, walking to the gym in just a jersey and sweatpants over running shoes, I wore my Gloverall duffel and was just fine.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be sure to get yourself a good pair of winter boots. No need to be stylish here. You want something waterproof with a good tread that will keep your feet warm and dry. Over the course of the winter, these will become beat up and dirty, so they're not anything you should care about from a style perspective. LL Bean's classic Bean Boot (lined with thinsulate) is a good choice, and will make you look like a real New Englander.

I like LA Guy's suggestion of the zip out liner for the winter coat, because you can probably still use it as a casual rain coat without the liner once you return to warmer climes.

Also, while Boston does have its share of cold days in the winter, it's really not THAT bad. You're not going to Antarctica or anything.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You'll have maybe four months where it will be at or below freezing, two of those months with a fair bit of snow, and one week in February where it's below zero (Fahrenheit).

Bean boots or shoes are a good idea. If you intend to wear your good shoes, Neos overshoes will keep them safe.

Down parkas and the like will keep extreme chill off, but you might be better off with a good wool topcoat/overcoat. It will breathe better and can be worn unbuttoned, while keeping the wind off when it gets nasty. And you can sell it when you're done.

Keezer's used to be the gold standard for this sort of article. Generations of Harvard freshmen would go there to get a navy blazer, black tie rig, and a cashmere or wool topcoat. Come graduation, they'd sell them back. Or so it seemed, at least, from looking at the inventory. Check them out in September.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, particularly, LA Guy, I do look forward to meeting up. I hadn't forgotten; just thought I could get relatives to pick up stuff now whether on eBay or from stores as it's currently summer over there.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I suggest something warm and fuzzy to got with your Harvard Master of Laws which begins in september?

!luc

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear by my Canada Goose parka. I have one of the lighter models (CG makes gear for the polar stations), and it is phenomenally warm. Duffel coats are also great for New England winters.

Aside from wearing these coats, the key to winter warmth is layering. Turtleneck sweaters are a godsend in February. I have some lightweight wool or cashmere and silk pieces that I wear under other sweaters when it is absolutely freezing. Cotton-cashmere tees are also great. And then there are the more technical materials.

Last but not least, invest in good wool socks. I wear smartwool (available from STP) when I'm wearing boots or casual shoes. Any good wool dress sock will work for dressier occasions.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I have a good friend from Cincy who just graduated HLS. Wears nothing but shorts and a tshirt, with an occasional admission to the weather in the form of a windbreaker. Did it in Jersey, now does it in Boston. No freaking clue how, though.

Tom

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any links to ebay or online catalogs of all this great stuff (including fall stuff, not just winter)?
smile.gif

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather will still be mild in September, so you'll have some time to shop.

Right now, I'd check STP for basic items like wool socks. As LA Guy mentioned, STP also has the Gloverall duffels. I believe that they also have some Smedley merino turtlenecks at about $69 each.

Lance at Virtualclotheshorse has some nice sweaters.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I have a good friend from Cincy who just graduated HLS. Wears nothing but shorts and a tshirt, with an occasional admission to the weather in the form of a windbreaker. Did it in Jersey, now does it in Boston. No freaking clue how, though.

Tom

I think I've seen this guy. Where is he originally from? I had a friend from a place just south of James Bay, who laughed at Kingston "Cold". He wore sandals all year round (in Kingston, Ontario!)

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Cincinnatti. You're right though, there was also a dude a year ahead of me at school from northern Canada somewhere. Short shorts, tshirts, and Tevas in a snow storm. Guys who are actually from cold places mock Boston. Guys from the Phillipinnes need to dress warm
tongue.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sweaters may be your most useful implement, especially as you layer. You might have no need for cashmere, but a lambswool v-neck or crew-neck from LL Bean will see you through a lot. My default uniform in our (casual) office for years was a v-neck plus chinos and a button-down shirt.

No need to buy now. The first cool weather won't likely come until after you've been here for a month or more. But a spin through www.llbean.com may be informative.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Cincinnatti. You're right though, there was also a dude a year ahead of me at school from northern Canada somewhere. Short shorts, tshirts, and Tevas in a snow storm. Guys who are actually from cold places mock Boston. Guys from the Phillipinnes need to dress warm
tongue.gif

And then there is this guy in an adjacent lab from inner Siberia who wear thin poplin shirts year round, and a windbreaker when it rains or snows... He says that he has never felt cold in Boston. Ever. He told me once that Boston had essentially 2 seasons - summer and spring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads