Suggested winter clothing for grad school in Boston?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, May 4, 2006.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

And then there is this guy in an adjacent lab from inner Siberia who wear thin poplin shirts year round, and a windbreaker when it rains or snows... He says that he has never felt cold in Boston. Ever. He told me once that Boston had essentially 2 seasons - summer and spring.
    [​IMG] I'm slightly worried that when I get back to the States I'm going to be too acclimated to this hideously hot weather. I was OK in the German winter after my first year in Iraq, except that I had completely forgotten how to drive on the snow and ice. But that time I got back to Europe in the summer time and went through a gradual cooling. This time it's back to Germany in November, just in time for the bitter cold.

2. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

A wool duffel coat sounds like a great idea for an all-purpose winter coat, instead of one of those sports/outdoor jackets like North Face.

What color is classic? Tan?

What are recommended manufacturers aside from Gloverall?

3. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I'd say that a couple essentials are:

1. Sorel boots--they are weather-proof and come up your calfs and are warm.

2. Expedition-weight long underwear. Mine are from Helly Hansen. I can wear the top with just a t-shirt underneath and my Helly Hansen lightweight mountaineering jacket (it's just a shell; no lining) on top when I go snowboarding and I'm plenty warm.

Helly Hansen in general is a good buy. It is expensive but well worth it. Life-time guarantees and tough as hell.

I got through 2 years in NH with this basic gear.

bob

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Wow... alot of you guys are giving advice that sounds like josepidal is going to be climbing K2 rather than walking the relatively mild streets of Boston. I would purchase some wool overcoats, along with some cashmere sweaters, and perhaps a down parka for VERY cold nights, perhaps some leather jackets, and call it a day.

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I would purchase some wool overcoats, along with some cashmere sweaters, and perhaps a down parka for VERY cold nights, perhaps some leather jackets, and call it a day.
    Thank you. This is the rough plan, except I'm trying for just one of each item to begin with, and am not sure where I can find a good but cheap leather jacket.

6. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

By the way, what material is expedition length underwear made of? I invested in a few long john underpants, but they're made of cotton.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Thank you. This is the rough plan, except I'm trying for just one of each item to begin with, and am not sure where I can find a good but cheap leather jacket.

I have this jacket, and it's quite nice for cold weather. With the inside lining it is very warm.
    http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...&Nu=Product+ID

As far as an inexpensive but warm wool jacket, you may want to look at:

and this is a fairly inexpensive down jacket that looks fairly nice:

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Jose,

I can appreciate your apprehension about moving to the Northeast. However, I can assure you that, while not exactly tropical, the weather is not as bad and cold as you seem to be thinking. People just spend more time indoors in the winter and all buildings are heated. In countries where most construction is stone and concrete (as opposed to wood in North America) and there is no heating, it is usually much colder indoors than in the US/Canadian North.

Unless you go winter camping, you do not need long johns and technical winter gear. You will be wasting your $ and you will be overheated when indoors.

My advice is to stop worrying about the cold and trying to buy an entire wardrobe fit for the North Pole on the Internet. Wait until you get here and you'll see for yourself. Why order things online now from the US when you are in the Phillipines and will be coming here soon?

9. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

By the way, what material is expedition length underwear made of? I invested in a few long john underpants, but they're made of cotton.

No clue. I just know that when I bought them HH made a lightweight, mid-weight, and expedition weight long underwear. It is significantly thicker than normal long underwear. Like the thickiness of a cashmere sweater. But warm.

Much nice warmer long underwear is made of silk.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Jose,

I can appreciate your apprehension about moving to the Northeast. However, I can assure you that, while not exactly tropical, the weather is not as bad and cold as you seem to be thinking. People just spend more time indoors in the winter and all buildings are heated. In countries where most construction is stone and concrete (as opposed to wood in North America) and there is no heating, it is usually much colder indoors than in the US/Canadian North.

Unless you go winter camping, you do not need long johns and technical winter gear. You will be wasting your $ and you will be overheated when indoors.

My advice is to stop worrying about the cold and trying to buy an entire wardrobe fit for the North Pole on the Internet. Wait until you get here and you'll see for yourself. Why order things online now from the US when you are in the Phillipines and will be coming here soon?

I went to school in Cambridge,MA coming from Wisconsin. I hardly used my cold weather stuff at all and wore jeans and sweaters until I came back from winter break. It was 70 degrees at the beginning of December my first semester there.

11. nomovement

nomovement Senior member

hi, moved from sunny texas to windy chicago. was scared shitless of the cold....but it never came. Bought snow boots, wore them 3 times. now they collect dust. roomates dad handed me down a navy peacoat-it worked really really well-my body was never cold. I wore longjohns to walk to school (remember that stretch denim used to be stylish) but had to remove them once I arrived; so I stopped and didn't even mess with that this past winter. Sport/snow jackets make you look silly. you either look like you should be skiing (too athletic) or like you're afraid of the cold (i.e. tourist) you don't want either of those looks as you are going to get your masters in law-gotta class it up-you'll be meeting your future clients and the leaders of your profession. here's my prescription for your next winter which, as mentioned above, won't be for a while after you arrive:

heavy wool topcoat
    overshoes-neos are great and cheap
    very nice lined leather gloves (have your fam buy you this as everything else can be had on the cheap<$100 if you want) leather is very important b/c you want a glove that will retain some of your hand's tactile qualities-nothing's worse than having to take your glove off to grab your bus pass or pay for a cofee etc-so don't buy too thick
    warm knit cap
    scarf

now, here's the bit that'll save you on those really cold days:
    balaclava-its a glorified ski mask; but it will really protect your face from the cold wind and I promise, you will never be uncomfortably cold.

those items will keep you warm and safe without making you look like you're worried about either. enjoy the snow

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Many are cotton, but the heavy-duty ones are merino wool, sometimes combined with a tiny bit of high-tech material.

13. DNW

DNW Senior member

I grew up in Boston and the only time I'd wear long johns is when I expect to be outside for several hours shoveling snow. Most of the time, jeans, cords, wool trousers with shirts, sweaters, and a pea coat and you'd be set. If you're really afraid of getting wet, then get a nice parka. Canadian Goose makes one that's fit for a South Pole expedition, so it'll probably serve you well. It can be had on eBay for under $200 most of the time. Oh yeah, scarves are a must, IMO. Also, ditto on the snow boots. Get something with Gore-Tex from STP for under 100 bucks and you'd be okay. Gloves and beanies are nice too, but not absolutely necessary. Try not to go bananas before you get there. See what the locals wear first, then dress yourself accordingly. You already have a local guide in LA Guy, take advantage of that. Last, but not least, find a nice woman to keep you warm and motivated.

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Many are cotton, but the heavy-duty ones are merino wool, sometimes combined with a tiny bit of high-tech material.

I don't think I'd buy longjohns unless I was going to be outside for a LONG time.

Anyway, mine are - I believe - 100% silk.

15. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

heavy wool topcoat
    overshoes-neos are great and cheap
    very nice lined leather gloves (have your fam buy you this as everything else can be had on the cheap<$100 if you want) leather is very important b/c you want a glove that will retain some of your hand's tactile qualities-nothing's worse than having to take your glove off to grab your bus pass or pay for a cofee etc-so don't buy too thick
    warm knit cap
    scarf

now, here's the bit that'll save you on those really cold days:
    balaclava-its a glorified ski mask; but it will really protect your face from the cold wind and I promise, you will never be uncomfortably cold.

Thanks. I'm convinced that something is exaggerated with all these winter horror stories and advice given by other Filipinos. The balaclava is a good but cheap idea, in addition to the beanie which I was hoping to find at an army/navy surplus somewhere.

However, are the gloves that expensive? That's what I was asking about in that separate thread. I was left with the impression that $20 gloves from Filene's are more than enough.

I am enlisting LA Guy's help with the topcoat, and I'm glad he mentioned this early on and emphasized the ski jacket was not the way to go even though everyone I know who's leaving seemed to have bought a North Face jacket for whatever reason.