• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggest me a quick vacation :fu:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know where I want to go.
ffffuuuu.gif
I live in Korea, the land that god forgot about, and I've not left the country for almost two years now, I've been working nonstop. My skull is about to burst, so I need to duck out and take a few days off, at least.

My girlfriend and I just kind of broke up recently and then got right back together again; she had left and went back to Japan but a phone call was all it took to have her coming back. So she's coming back in a couple days, and then we'll go on vacation together.

One caveat - we've been together almost two years and this is our first vacation together, so I'd like it to be a place that's all-new for both of us, which is tricky because she is very well traveled, and I've been to places here and there as well. Also, I am from America and she is from Japan and I'd like it to not be a trip to either of those countries, where we feel obligated to visit relatives. I tend to go to the same place repeatedly (Tokyo, Hong Kong, London) and she does too I think, Paris, Italy, Belgium, Hawaii, LA, NYC, Curacao, Cuba, etc. We both have a lot of interest in food and drink, and I'd go shopping with her when traveling but I don't want to look at any men's fashion during this vacation, that is maybe the root of the problem. I don't really want to get dirty on this vacation, though, so no expeditions or backpacking. She likes michelin stars and I like drinking and smoking in nice places. I'm not sure I have the energy to do a multi-country Euro trip right now either, I'd like to relax in a different environ.

We don't have unlimited money, and I'd like for this to be a fairly simple trip for the sake of relaxation and having some time together, but we can go most anywhere and afford to do what normal people do on vacation.

One idea I have been tossing around:
- Egypt? Childhood dream of seeing the pyramids and Sphinx - too touristy? Worth a trip from the other side of the world?
- I'd like to go to Australia and I grew up there so I have a lot of school friends there, but a significant exgf of mine has moved down there and so I think Australia might be not a good place.

Kind of stumped. I'd do the inevitable and take her to Paris for a week, but just looking for some alternatives as currency exchanges are not really in my favor right now.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Bali. There's a certain vibe to it that doesn't really exist anywhere else IMO. It's also a great balance between luxury and backpacking - hang out in Ubud for a little bit and learn meditation, spend a few nights on the beach getting pampered and eating fish off the boat, get a guy to drive you through the island, stopping at temples and waterfalls. I really long to go back to Bali (Bali, Bali, Bali...)

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
both are places i've considered for a long time, and I like food from both places (I've always loved Goan-style food)... I know I'd see some pretty moving stuff in Bali, what about Goa? I'd probably sooner go to Saigon before Goa if it were just for food and something different. gdl, you know how Japanese women think re: vacation and accomodations/safety/overal trip taking, got anything else?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Go to Bali. There's a certain vibe to it that doesn't really exist anywhere else IMO. It's also a great balance between luxury and backpacking - hang out in Ubud for a little bit and learn meditation, spend a few nights on the beach getting pampered and eating fish off the boat, get a guy to drive you through the island, stopping at temples and waterfalls. I really long to go back to Bali (Bali, Bali, Bali...)

maybe its just me, or maybe because I grew up in another island with beaches, but I have to disagree with you, gdl. stayed at jimbaran and went around the different beaches and ubud but I wasn't impressed. the great thing about bali are the people, the hindu culture but maybe I was there during gaijin season I don't know but tourists were overflowing, the bar/party scene's not my thing and indonesian food isn't that great aside from having fresh lobsters and prawns grilled on the beach in that small place between the four seasons and the intercontinental. what I'm trying to say is, in lieu of Bali there are, IMHO, better options around southeast asia.

if impolyte's willing to spend, I'd suggest an Aman resort of his choice.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see many gaijins and didn't see a single party or crazy bar scene when I went to Bali - maybe we didn't stay in the right/wrong places. The Jimbaran area is pretty impressive - there's a reason Aman created one of their first hotels there - but, sure, there are other nice island beaches in the world. Is it a nicer beach than Boracay? Maybe, maybe not, but it's irrelevant IMO. I think Bali is markedly different because of the vibe there, culture, people, etc... and because there's a great variety of landscape throughout the island. It's also accessible to all because one can do it ultra-luxe or backpack-style.

That said, feel free to post your better suggestions. I have no doubt I didn't post "the best" suggestion, just the one that came to my mind when I read the OP and based on my own experience.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMSBNSN
Monte Carlo, Monaco

That would be dope. But I have a gambling addiction.
ffffuuuu.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I asked this question to this locally famous rapper who lives in my building, when I ran into him out front yesterday; I don't really know him that well because the guy doesn't drink alcohol so we've never hung out together. He was out front waiting for a ride to th studio or something, reading the bible last night. So he just got back from vacation, and I was like 'where should I go on vacation?' and he says 'Amsterdam, dude'....
ffffuuuu.gif

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in Tennessee, Graceland was a favorite of mine. Very opulent.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Australia? If both of you love food how about Singapore? I'd personally would travel to HK-the food is great and there's something new to try every day.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beirut?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't start this thread so much as to neg all the suggestions, because I'd be down under most circumstances, but... -All Asian countries are out. Hong Kong, Taiwan, the Philippines, Vietnam, China, Japan, we don't need to go to again.... and I haven't been out of Asia in two years and I'm tired of looking and dealing with Asian faces, so I do need to get out. - all of the urban'ish third world destinations, it's a somewhat sore point for her and I - we live in Korea, which is about the uncoolest country in the world, and it's lacking in a lot of sophistication, so getting any worse would not be good for our relationship right now, we're on eggshells still. She's here instead of in Japan for me, we have plenty of pig snout and chicken ass and rowdy people already. - Australia - I have an exgf I was once about to marry, who now lives there, and my gf knows all about it. That's not the dealbreaker completely though - even if we stay way clear of my exgf, I'd still want to see my school friends from years ago and that'd be 2 solid weeks of pub n grub, and that would drag on for her. She can speak conversational English but 2 weeks of pubs with all my old friends would be 2 weeks of boredom for her, plus I'd want to eat all the Australian junk food for memories (and there's a lot of that, so it'd take awhile to get through) and she'd shoot me in the guts eventually. I'll save that trip for if we're married. - Europe trip is okay, but it's hard to go to Europe, 12,000 miles away, and only do one place - I'd want to rent a shitbox car and run the Nurburgring on a weekday, eat and drink a lot, she'd want to eat at grip of restaurants, that's all fine, but a trip like that deserves 2 weeks and 20 grand, and i was planning on taking 2 or 3 days plus a weekend away
redface.gif
My guys at work will need me after that much. -Egypt? too touristy? Not much else besides the obvious tourist attractions? It'd be a helluva flight but I'd go. - She is Japanese, she likes Hawaii. I haven't been in 20 years, so I don't know much about it lately. Anything on Hawaii? - Moscow? ****, I might just take us to LA and get my parents and grandma to take us to lunch.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads