• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggest a place for me to live.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So let's talk.

I currently live outside of Columbus, Ohio. It's...okay, but not where I want to end up. I'll be entering college shortly, and I'm trying to make a determination about where to go after college.

Please, strangers of the Internet: arbitrarily make suggestions.

I love music, art, and local culture. I dislike big box chain stores. I like modern areas. I'm an atheist. I don't like winter and would prefer never to see snow again. In fact, I prefer weather that you never have to think about. Above all else, I like being able to pick up and go do something at any given moment. I like areas that are alive and kicking 24 hours a day. I don't like rednecks. I'm indifferent to nature. I speak English. I speak "I graduated from an American public school" Spanish. Socially speaking, I am extremely liberal. Fiscally, I am a bit more moderate-conservative. I have no real political affiliations. I place great value on friends and socialization.

Rescue me.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Austin.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Austin.
Hmm... All places I have considered. My concern with San Francisco is obvious -- friends have told me crackhouses will run you half a mil.

Austin I've been told is quite like Columbus without the unpleasant weather and football fixation.

It should be noted that I have no interest in sports whatsoever.

I wish I could afford to travel at this point in time to figure this sort of thing out, but it's not in the cards...

alaaro

Reaction score
Atlanta or Miami.

Youre not going to escape sports. It's everywhere.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Atlanta or Miami.

Youre not going to escape sports. It's everywhere.
I've been to Atlanta. I hated the layout of the city and it seemed dull.

I've not been to Miami before, but I've never liked a part of Florida before either.

In general I dislike the southeast, though Miami seems like it would be an entity in and of itself. Perhaps I should visit at some point.

alaaro

Reaction score
So you don't like winter and don't like the Southeast. I think Southern California is your spot. I have been hearing good things about San Diego.

With housing-just assume any place popular is going to be expensive. If you stay in Columbus, Ohio, you will pay next to nothing, because the demand to live there is tiny. SoCal, or other warm climates will demand more. Just a necessary evil.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Orleans.  Santa Fe.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Orleans.  Santa Fe.
Been to NOLA. Seems like a great place to visit, probably bad place to live.

Tell me about Santa Fe.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you don't like winter and don't like the Southeast. I think Southern California is your spot. I have been hearing good things about San Diego.

With housing-just assume any place popular is going to be expensive. If you stay in Columbus, Ohio, you will pay next to nothing, because the demand to live there is tiny. SoCal, or other warm climates will demand more. Just a necessary evil.
Columbus isn't cheap. It's not expensive (well, parts of it are), but it isn't cheap. The Short North, German/Italian/Victorian Village, etc. are all pretty pricey areas. Not compared against a major coastal city or Chicago or anything, but still...

I'm definitely interested in California. I wish I had the funds to go, but I can't really afford hotels, etc. right now.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Santa Fe is nice, Its kind of small-towny artist oriented stuff. I'm sure its bigger than it was when I lived in the area, but it still seemed pretty small. And the biggest city I'd lived in at that point was El-Paso or Albuquerque, so I was judging against what are really smaller cities anyways. I don't remember the night life being all that interesting - although I was 12 at the time

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to Atlanta.  I hated the layout of the city and it seemed dull.

I've not been to Miami before, but I've never liked a part of Florida before either.

In general I dislike the southeast, though Miami seems like it would be an entity in and of itself.  Perhaps I should visit at some point.
Thank god, we don't really like the liberal either, try SF...might be closer to the lifestyle you are looking for. And dull, you are a bit to young to be able to call anything dull, when you have grown up, and understand the difference between dull and adult, come back and talk to us.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went through the same thing when I came to the states. there are a few websites that can help - findyourspot.com for instance.

I would say that, given your feelings and your age, go to a big city and enjoy that for a while. Parts of Atlanta seem to fit your bill - good weather and all that, but it isn't a walking city, really, it is a car city.

good luck

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank god, we don't really like the liberal either, try SF...might be closer to the lifestyle you are looking for. And dull, you are a bit to young to be able to call anything dull, when you have grown up, and understand the difference between dull and adult, come back and talk to us.

Stifle the rebel yell and spare me the vitriol.  When your city can figure out how to name a street, I'll consider it.

Thanks for the homosexual insinuation, by the by.  Keep repping the ATL playboy.  Ying Yang forever.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
You could live on a yacht, and stick to waters in favorable climes. You could visit fun cities and get lots of chances to wear your navy blazers.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Southern California would probably be a good choice for you. Some areas here are not too expensive (east of LA, like Ontario, Pomona, etc) and still warm, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads