• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarcane sizing question

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hello I want to get a pair of sugarcane 1947 unwashed and i am not too sure on the sizing. i wear a size 29 in RRDS for nudies and a 29 for APC NS. so what is the size i should consider and why? http://historypreservation.com/hpass...hp?uniqnum=127 thanks iroh

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i checked your site and size 31 seems to be out of stock (size up 2 from 29 right?)

and on your site, you are selling the one-wash version, is sizing up two only for the one-wash version?
how about for the unwashed version?

and if 245 is the sale price, im just curious what is the normal price.

iroh

Curious_George

Reaction score
I don't have any Nudies but two sizes up from your NS size sounds right to me (Canes can be worn 1 size down from your true size, although with quite some initial discomfort I imagine). Also, I'd size the same for either version unless you plan to never wash your jeans.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats the difference between the unwash and onewash version? and why are there two versions?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atsui
One wash has been pre-soaked by Sugar Cane...ready-to-wear. Unwashed...shrink-to-fit.

Several denim companies have both available. PBJ has both available as well.

are there any sizing difference between the unwash and the one-wash then?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically, the unwashed version will shrink down to the tag size. The washed version is already at tag size. You can look at our site for dimensions. We stock the washed version only.
this is starting to get confusing, i am more interested in the TRUE size (measured BiG method) when compared to the tag size, and this is after stretching/shrinking whatever happens to the jeans. i just want to get the UNWASHED version. i wear size 29 in nudies and 29 APC NS. cuz unwashed is raw right? i don't plan to wash the jeans for around 6 months (that's normal right?), nor do i plan to soak them (or should i? will they shrink? and if they do won't they stretch back after i wear them again? then whats the point of soaking them?) so what if i never plan to wash the jeans? then what size should i get? this is taking into account after then have stretched. for example, i have a tagged size 29 nudies, when brand new they measure 31 inches using BIG method, and then after i wear them for a while they will stretch 1 inch, so now they are 32 inches which fit me perfectly (so from tagged 29 to true 32 inches, hurray for vanity sizing...)

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Iroh - don't worry, you are making it more difficult that it needs to be.

You want the washed version. Washed only means it has been soaked already - it is raw. It will still fade like other dry denim. The one wash version is already shrunk and is ready to wear as is. Look at our website for actual dimensions.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iroh - don't worry, you are making it more difficult that it needs to be. You want the washed version. Washed only means it has been soaked already - it is raw. It will still fade like other dry denim. The one wash version is already shrunk and is ready to wear as is. Look at our website for actual dimensions.
so a size 31 unwash is larger than a size 31 one-wash, but when soaked it will shrink to the same size as the one-wash? but will the jeans stretch again after soaking? (cuz my nudies stretched back after soaking, arn't all denim pretty much the same?)

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
so a size 31 unwash is larger than a size 31 one-wash, but when soaked it will shrink to the same size as the one-wash? but will the jeans stretch again after soaking? (cuz my nudies stretched back after soaking, arn't all denim pretty much the same?)

Yes, and yes.

izlat

Reaction score
Here's some independent advice for you:

buy from someone who WILL work with you if something is not ideal. For example, if you buy from Kiya - you would be able to return / exchange for another pair. She would also work with you if you need them altered - and, believe me, when you get the SC '47 you may really want this!

(FYI - I got the Okinawa from Japan, and while they are growing on me continually - at first try-on I was horrified by the fit. So be prepared - these take a while to get used to, and also to break in. I have been wearing mine for, um, 4 or so months and they still have ways to go)

Cheers

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
buy from someone who WILL work with you if something is not ideal. For example, if you buy from Kiya - you would be able to return / exchange for another pair. She would also work with you if you need them altered - and, believe me, when you get the SC '47 you may really want this!
Whoa. Sounds like both you guys have a lot to learn. Here's how it goes...coming from someone who had this same discussion about 2 years ago when I bought my first pairs of raw denim...APCs (sz 28) and then some SC Okinawas (sz 30). Whatever the heck the tagged size is on your APC NSs (assuming they fit like they are supposed to...post a pic and we'll tell you) go up two tagged sizes from that. This is the tagged size you want to get in any which version of 1947 SC you end up with. The only difference between the washed and unwashed version is you having to wait a day to wear them because you have to soak the unwashed version yourself. I know it seems like you'll want to have this special experience first hand but it really makes no difference...in this case. I agree with izlat that at first the fit of your SC's will freak you out a little bit but it will work itself out overtime when the denim softens up and starts to form more to your body. Mine really started to "fall" better after the first wash (about a year in). Just remember that these are best described as anti-fit. It's not a bad fit...I love mine...but they are certainly no APC NS's. I've never dealt with Atsui personally and SelfEdge is probably my favorite store but if Kiya doesn't have your size I'd give Atsui a shot. The guy plugs his store a bunch here (maybe too much) but I don't blame him too much with the economy the way it is. You'll find something you want at SE sooner or later, everyone on SF/SW&D eventually does!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads