• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sugar cane jeans.. need inseam hem. few questions

CEO

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of Sugar cane jeans model 1947 type 2.
here are the jeans http://www.togged.com/Sugar-Cane-SC4...B003YZLHNC.htm
measurements before soak
waist: 33.5
inseam: 36

expected shrinkage with hot soaking: Waist 2.5", Rise 1", Leg width 0.5",
Inseam 2" (further shrinkage may occur with hot washing/tumble drying)

I am a 31" waist so the waist size will be fine, but a 31" inseam. After soaking and wash the inseam will be about 33.5. So I need to get them hemmed. I know nothing about hemming and I've had a few pairs of jeans ruined with poor hem jobs. will these jeans look ok with a hem, will a good hem not look noticeable?

I am thinking about bringing them in to a neiman marcus or nordstrom for the hem. Will these places do a good job? Thanks

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be in the small questions thread. They're gonna shrink down to about a 33" inseam, which should be perfect for cuffing for you. If you don't want to cuff them, have them hemmed. They will look best with a chain-stitched hem, which many places can't do (doubt NM or Nord can). Call around your local shops to see if they have a chain stitch machine or send them to blue in green, denim doctors or self edge after you've shrunk them.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Like airport said, cuffing them would be the best choice. Antifit /repro type jeans like sc look best with them cuffed. I know by experience. I had an okinawa that came with a 33ish inseam that I didn't need to cuff and it looked off due to the theme throughout the fit. A correct hem would make it look like a pair of odd trousers which shouldn't be your intent with this pair

Tigerprawn

Reaction score
I think the Type II are a slightly slimmer and a little more modern right? I have the Type I and I have to agree with Sho-'nuff in regards to the cuff.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEO
I am a 31" waist so the waist size will be fine, but a 31" inseam. After soaking and wash the inseam will be about 33.5. So I need to get them hemmed. I know nothing about hemming and I've had a few pairs of jeans ruined with poor hem jobs. will these jeans look ok with a hem, will a good hem not look noticeable?

I am thinking about bringing them in to a neiman marcus or nordstrom for the hem. Will these places do a good job? Thanks

If you decide to hem them, Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom will do a good job, but they won't be able reproduce the chainstitch hem that is on the jeans right now. They'll be able to do either a regular lock stitch hem, or for a little bit more money, they'll be able to do the so-called "original hem", where they cut off the existing hem and re-attach it after shortening the leg.

I would steer clear of the original hem if you want to have the option of cuffing the jeans in the future, the cut-off is clearly visible on the inside of the leg, and it's quite unsightly, IMO.

I would recommend what airportlobby suggested above if you do hem the jeans: send them into somewhere that does a real chainstitch, like Blue in Green, Self Edge, or Denim Doctors. It's more expensive to do it that way, but if you paid $339 for these, it's worth it.

Nopike343

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEO
made a mistake
I found the site after I purchased mine and could not return them. Can you return yours?

Sorry if I bummed you out. If you really like them you can get a second pair. I think they are great pair of lighter weight jeans.

CEO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nopike343
I found the site after I purchased mine and could not return them. Can you return yours?

Sorry if I bummed you out. If you really like them you can get a second pair. I think they are great pair of lighter weight jeans.

I ordered the wrong size from togged as I was confused on the sizing, but they have the right size in stock and I am exchanging my pair for them. They also allow returns.

I think I will cuff them as suggested.

I also ordered a pair of naked and famous weirdguy in grey from a different website. stoked on my choices

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads