• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sugar Cane differences?

s2kong

Reaction score
I've searched around for information about Sugarcanes but I'm having trouble finding anything about differences between the '47s and the other models like the Edo Ai, Hawaii, and Okinawas.

I'm not really concerned with the minor details like leather patch, pocket linings, and the small details. Just wondering about the difference in cuts and color.

I like all the small details that the Okinawa and Hawaii provide but not sure if it worth the additional 100 bucks over the '47s if thats the only differences.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggest difference is the fabric... the edo ai, hawaii, et al, are made from a 50% cotton/50% sugarcane denim. alot of them have natural plant derived indigo also.

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like you've been looking at the SUGARCANE site. that would be a good start. from there, check out the history preservation site for English descriptions of the different models. quick answer: two different lines of sugar cane-----standard and japan originals. the 47 is former, hawaii is latter. hawaiis and edo ais are based off the 47 Levis cut.

s2kong

Reaction score
thanks. the history preservation site helped a lot. Wish i could read japanese for the sugarcane site. maybe i'll try google translator later.

i'm assuming the only differences between the japan originals are the details (i.e. pocket lining, type of indigo dye, etc.)?

i also read on the history preservation site something about using special detergent..

taken from history preservation:

"This prized feature of Sugar Cane selvage dungarees can be rejuvenated by washing with a special detergent treatment engineered specifically for Sugar Cane to revive the function of enzymes in sugar cane. Sugar Cane special vintage detergent is available from us @ $5.50 per packet, plus shipping costs, which yields one washing per packet. "

anyone ever use this? or does it sound like marketing gimmick to sell you expensive detergent?

Reaction score
you are right, the only differences between the japan originals are the details (i.e. pocket lining, type of indigo dye, etc.), but the statement is not very meaningful.

re: the detergent

could be gimmickry, i guess. but i like it. it is a two-step detergent. the second step is an anti-bacterial, which is good if you are washing jeans in cold water. i quite like it.

s2kong

Reaction score
i guess i made the statement about differences to imply that if i were deciding which ones to buy, it would all be a matter of personal preference about which details you like. whether you prefer the hair on hide patch or the snakeskin patch or whether you want okinawan cloth lined pockets, etc.

i'm sure they would also fade differently due to the different indigo dye used but i haven't seen too many pictures of faded japan originals.

the detergent doesn't sound too bad if i'm only washing them once or twice a year at most

Reaction score
letgoasyoulike SC1947 color fading report i have posted lousy pics of my sc40400n in the "post pics of your denim" thread on styleforum; very tough to fade; not contrasty like the synth indigo of the sc47s HERE is a link to the xcoldricex stealth pix of faded hawaiis EDIT: i realized i am muddying the issue. you are looking at the lower-tier japan originals vs. standard denim and here i am bringing in the high-end satokibis. the lower-tier japan originals are machine-dyed w/ synth indigo; but the high-end satokibi are hand-dyed with natural indigo, along with other neat details (fly facing, hand-felled inseams, etc) addendum: you may want to look at the Blue-in-green descriptions

s2kong

Reaction score
i was wondering why that pair was 500 bucks...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So all SCs are repro fits, no modern fits?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
word.... they are slimmer than the 47, and at a 30w they have a 20cm hem

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads