1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suede Tramezzas <pics> - Help with finding a belt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Henry Boogers, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Distinguished Member

Okay, so I've asked this questions deep in some other threads but with my frustration growing its time that I give this a thread of its own.

I made another steal on Ebay recently, aquiring these custom suede Tramezzas for less than $50. The pictures were not the greatest, and the seller did not mention that they were from the Tramezza line, but in the sole photograph you could just barely recognize the arcing script that I was certain would read 'Tramezza' upon closer inspection.

The problem now is that I have no belt to wear with these shoes. Compounding the issue is the fact that I tend not to spend a fortune (being defined as anywhere near retail) as I am quite proficient and finding what I want at deep discount.....until now. Any thoughts? I tried STP, Bluefly & Ebay.

HPB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. summej2

summej2 Senior Member

I wear suedes with nonsuede belts; it seems fine to me. Just go for a belt in the same tone of brown or slightly darker.

3. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior Member

If your heart is set on suede, you might want to check out Lance at www.virtualclotheshorse.com (at last check of the site they'd just gotten in some Sutor belts in chocolate suede.)

4. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

I would respectfully disagree with summej2 on not pairing a suede belt with suede shoes. In my opinion, matching the texture of suede between shoes and belt is more important than matching color. I'm assuming that your new suede Ferragamos are what Edward Green would call "mink suede" or dark brown. You can find belts on eBay in medium to dark brown suede that would work well. I'm also assuming that you are looking for a dress, not casual, belt. A good-quality medium to dark brown suede belt would be a perfect complement to these shoes. An absolutely exact color match is not necessary; just try to get reasonably close. Here's one (and there are currently others):

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Mens-Suede-Lea...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's what I do with belts. I buy them too long. Then I take them to my cobbler and have her cut them to exactly the right length so that the buckle prong goes into the middle hole (of 5 usually) when the belt is cinched up to be just right. She cuts them at the buckle end, of course, and then re-stitches them, using the same color of thread as in the belt, at the right length. The job is neat--indistinguishable from the original--and the fit is perfect at the middle hole. This allows 5 lbs. of weight gain or loss to keep you in the middle three holes, and 10 lbs. to still be within all 5. Cost is about $10. With this practice, I can, therefore, look on eBay for belts in all lengths at and longer than my actual size.

Edit: Fabulous shoes, by the way. The Ferragamo Tramezzas are a top-flight, welted dress shoe.

5. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Robert Talbott makes some nice suede belts in exactly the color SF uses for their Tramezzas. I was fortunate enough to pick up mine from STP a year ago for about $65 IIRC, before I bought any suede shoes.

I agree with Roger that matching belt and shoe leather textures is important for looking well put together.

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Henry, save yourself the aggravation and sell those to me. I'll give you $50 and you'll be whole. [​IMG]

BTW, what's the deal on the suede's your selling on the bay, Crockett?

7. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Distinguished Member

Henry, save yourself the aggravation and sell those to me. I'll give you $50 and you'll be whole. [​IMG]

BTW, what's the deal on the suede's your selling on the bay, Crockett?

It's bad enough that I need to dumpster dive on Ebay for mislabeled auctions and auctions with poor photos to avoid some guy with a name very similar to yours, now you're trying to take the shoes I did win! [​IMG]

The wingtips are Sanders. I bought them a few weeks ago using BIN as soon as the auction was listed for a reasonable price. As you can see from another of my auctions, my foot does not particularly care for Sanders shoes. The last just doesn't suit me, and I would prefer a thinner sole so I am looking to recoup my money. I suppose that's the price you have to pay for trying to get real steals on Ebay, sometimes you get Tramezzas for $50 and sometimes you wind up selling the item.

Thanks to others for their suggestions. I love the belt on Virtualclotheshorse, but I would need to stop eating for a month to get a 30 around my waist. Does anyone have experience with the Ebay belt posted? I'm just not sure about a no-name belt with a lousy picture....oh well...the search continues.

8. EL72

EL72 Distinguished Member

I'm just not sure about a no-name belt with a lousy picture....oh well...the search continues.

If you are a size 32, and are interested, I just bought this Trafalgar brown suede and leather belt and have never worn it. It would go nicely with your brown Tramezza suede shoes. It's made of Italian bridle leather and retails for $150. I will ship it to you for $20. The pic is not great but it's a very nice belt. Note that I removed the tag but never wore it. Let me know.

[​IMG]

9. EL72

EL72 Distinguished Member

Thanks for the offer, I am a 35. [​IMG]

No problem. Just posted it in the sales forum but thought I'd offer it to you first given your search.

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

Here's what I do with belts. I buy them too long. Then I take them to my cobbler and have her cut them to exactly the right length She cuts them at the buckle end, of course, and then re-stitches them With this practice, I can, therefore, look on eBay for belts in all lengths at and longer than my actual size.

I do similarly but I have snaps installed instead so that I can switch out the belt buckle(I have a collection). I source the sales (NM, SFA, BG, etc..) while wearing the shoes that I wish to match. There's usually a huge pile of size 40+ at a good discount.

11. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

I do similarly but I have snaps installed instead so that I can switch out the belt buckle(I have a collection).
    Yeah...that's actually what I do too most of the time, but didn't want to confuse things in this thread. I've acquired nice buckles in both silver and gold color for 1 1/8" or 30 mm. (my favorite for dress belts), 1 1/4" (or 32 mm.), and 1 3/8" (35 mm.) belts, so can switch buckles to match jewelry, while having belts match shoes. I've been looking for sterling silver buckles to use in this context, but haven't found any I really like at a price I can afford yet. Don't know whether I should even think about looking for some real heavy gold-plate ones!

12. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

though not entirely unrelated, I've always regarded suede shoes as being a bit informal/casual, and not really appropriate with suits in general. Is this a misconception? If so, then there are a pair of suede Tramezza Nostros with my name on it [​IMG]

13. kali77

kali77 Senior Member

though not entirely unrelated, I've always regarded suede shoes as being a bit informal/casual, and not really appropriate with suits in general. Is this a misconception? If so, then there are a pair of suede Tramezza Nostros with my name on it [​IMG]

Well I wore my pair of C&J Altons with a suit yesterday. With that said, I would not wear them to a meeting or to meet a client for the first time. I have to say I do like suede shoes with suits though.

Gene

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I find one of the most elegant combinations to be a navy or mid grey suit with suede shoes.