• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Shoes - What Season?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In general for me, darker suede in fall and winter, lighter suede in spring and summer. But, I have been wearing my light bucks a heck of a lot the last few months. Maybe because women always notice and compliment them even though they are well worn.

A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do! :fistbump:

recondite

Reaction score
Perfect!

I greatly appreciate your sharing your viewpoint, as it is otherwise unobtainable for me. Any debate is enlightening and not unpleasing. So, thanks now and in advance for that.

As you noted, some of us may have been lacking appropriate parental controls, if they weren't being ignored outright.
mwink[1].gif

But, then the wisdom of one's parents does have a way of becoming a future benchmark when one less rebellious and a bit wiser through experience.

Cheers!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perfect!

I greatly appreciate your sharing your viewpoint, as it is otherwise unobtainable for me. Any debate is enlightening and not unpleasing. So, thanks now and in advance for that.

As you noted, some of us may have been lacking appropriate parental controls, if they weren't being ignored outright.
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

But, then the wisdom of one's parents does have a way of becoming a future benchmark when one less rebellious and a bit wiser through experience.

Cheers!

Cheers!

I WISH I had been ignored!!!!!! (Actually I don't - but as a child I did.)

I'll be the first to admit that my family was probably on the 'proper' side of the manners of the day. My brother and I were carefully groomed and dressed before the public was allowed to view us. :embar: We "dressed" for Saturday night dinner (whether at home or at the club) and again Sunday morning and at least until after lunch, which was usually with some family member or another. It was all rather formal by today's standards. But I don't believe unusual for the time period. And I don't for one minute regret having been taught how to behave in any social situation, it's a valuable skill to acquire.

That being said - it's also good to just goof off! Which is mostly what i do here on SF!

Frank the sheep

Reaction score

Cheers!
I'll be the first to admit that my family was probably on the 'proper' side of the manners of the day. My brother and I were carefully groomed and dressed before the public was allowed to view us. :embar: We "dressed" for Saturday night dinner (whether at home or at the club) and again Sunday morning and at least until after lunch, which was usually with some family member or another. It was all rather formal by today's standards. But I don't believe unusual for the time period. And I don't for one minute regret having been taught how to behave in any social situation, it's a valuable skill to acquire.
That being said - it's also good to just goof off! Which is mostly what i do here on SF!

How to behave in any social situation and how to dress proper is unfortunatley something young people today haven´t learned in general. I´m quite young and i´m quite lonely among my friends with the interest in "classic mens wear". If i wear pants insted of jeans my friends think i´m dressed up. I saw some pics from a 30 year old birthday party one of my friends attended this weekend and he had jeans, sneakers and a flanell shirt. That´s what i like about SF, a place for me to "meet" people with the same interest and to learn from others with years of experience.

Sorry for any misspelling, didn´t feel like checking the text....

recondite

Reaction score
Ha!

Sometime ago, but more than forty years after the fact, I was presented an incredible pair of green Tartan plaid shorts that I was forced to endure as a youth. Thankfully, the shirt (probably the only sane garment), red bowtie, green blazer, red suspenders, green knee socks and cordovan pumps were no where to be found.

I still have lingering doubts accompanied by the odd panic attack as to whether or not I have sent the shorts off to torture another youth through the device of a charitable donation. I probably should have simply burned them.

I have the photographic evidence of my anguish under lock and key, but the negatives have never been recovered.

It took decades of rebellious debauchery to sooth my soul from the horror of wearing that outfit. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, although my offspring are none the wiser, about the apparel or the debauchery.

If my offspring ever recover the negatives or the balance of that horrible outfit, I may have to confess to my horrible deeds as well as relive the humiliation of having been once attired like some maladaptation of Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Cheers!
I'll be the first to admit that my family was probably on the 'proper' side of the manners of the day. My brother and I were carefully groomed and dressed before the public was allowed to view us.
shog[1].gif
We "dressed" for Saturday night dinner (whether at home or at the club) and again Sunday morning and at least until after lunch, which was usually with some family member or another. It was all rather formal by today's standards. But I don't believe unusual for the time period. And I don't for one minute regret having been taught how to behave in any social situation, it's a valuable skill to acquire.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tend to wear suede mostly in fall/winter with flannels, cords and tweeds.

+1

And, contrary to what seems to be the belief on this thread, suede does not melt in the rain.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha!

Sometime ago, but more than forty years after the fact, I was presented an incredible pair of green Tartan plaid shorts that I was forced to endure as a youth. Thankfully, the shirt (probably the only sane garment), red bowtie, green blazer, red suspenders, green knee socks and cordovan pumps were no where to be found.

I still have lingering doubts accompanied by the odd panic attack as to whether or not I have sent the shorts off to torture another youth through the device of a charitable donation. I probably should have simply burned them.

I have the photographic evidence of my anguish under lock and key, but the negatives have never been recovered.

It took decades of rebellious debauchery to sooth my soul from the horror of wearing that outfit. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, although my offspring are none the wiser, about the apparel or the debauchery.

If my offspring ever recover the negatives or the balance of that horrible outfit, I may have to confess to my horrible deeds as well as relive the humiliation of having been once attired like some maladaptation of Little Lord Fauntleroy.

I am literally laughing out loud! Thank you for the guffaw!

Here's me when I was about 4 years old.

I'm calling your bluff, and raising you one! MWHA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

recondite

Reaction score
Three words:

Lock and Key.

Nice picture of you and your family. Thank you for sharing.

I remember that fad of black and white trompe-l'œil very well. Again, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

recondite

Reaction score
Sorry, I really don't the ability to scan it in from this locale.

I am also a bit worried, that if my posterity saw the photo of the retina searing green attire with red flourishes, they might succumb to an interlude of debauchery and I could never forgive myself that.

Thanks again! You are definitely a good sport.

Best Wishes!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How to behave in any social situation and how to dress proper is unfortunatley something young people today haven´t learned in general. I´m quite young and i´m quite lonely among my friends with the interest in "classic mens wear". If i wear pants insted of jeans my friends think i´m dressed up. I saw some pics from a 30 year old birthday party one of my friends attended this weekend and he had jeans, sneakers and a flanell shirt. That´s what i like about SF, a place for me to "meet" people with the same interest and to learn from others with years of experience.
Sorry for any misspelling, didn´t feel like checking the text....

Frank, hang with us. You are welcome here!

Consider this proposition: If your friends all wear something like jeans, sneakers and flannel shirts perhaps you would find satisfaction in doing the same when you hang out with them......but do it BETTER, more classically than the rest. Some men learn how to look positively dashing with these simple elements - the basic principles that apply to 'classic' clothes still apply: proportion, color, texture, FIT, etc. etc.

Something to consider as a sometime option, No?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I really don't the ability to scan it in from this locale.

I am also a bit worried, that if my posterity saw the photo of the retina searing green attire with red flourishes, they might succumb to an interlude of debauchery and I could never forgive myself that.

Thanks again! You are definitely a good sport.

Best Wishes!

Sounds like it would have made a jaunty Christmas card, given the color scheme!

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winters all about textures, that's when you bust out your wools (ties, scarfs, etc.) and your suedes (shoes, gloves).

But suede shoes are year round' for me, I wear them with shorts or pants with no break in the summer.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads