• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Shoes - What Season?

TomAlso

Reaction score
Just a curiosity, do you guys wear suede shoes all year round?
Or just during the cold season? Are suede shoes out of place in summer or with warm weather in general?

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really seem like a seasonal thing to me...

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
year round
in fact, im wearing them more and more, and im buying more and more, and im on an arc to wear suede exclusively...
theyre just more interesting to look at

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear my tan suedes more toward summer. I don't necessarily associate suede with a season. I do have a hangup about bad weather and suede but apparently that's an old wive's tale.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

year round in fact, im wearing them more and more, and im buying more and more...theyre just more interesting to look at
+1...I normally wear darker shades (drk brown/chocolate/Snuff) during F/W and lighter (Beige/Tobacco) during S/S...I could be wrong, but I guess you can pretty much wear any color all year round.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a time, long ago and far away, in which suede was a winter material. Summer was 'white or dirty bucks' which is nubuck leather. One would not have worn suede shoes in the summer in general.

Of course in this land of distant memory it also was considered desirable to dress according to the season in general. Meaning in the summer seersucker and light colored suits were the norm, not the exception.

Modern heating and air conditioning has largely diminished the variables of seasonal dressing. Suede seems to be completely acceptable in the summer these days.

I still think it is especially dapper to vary ones shoes with the seasons a bit. I won't wear loafers in the winter, nor heavy dark colored laceups in the summer. I wear dark suede in the winter and tobacco or snuff suede in the summer. These rules are not hard and fast, and there are exceptions taken....but some seasonal variety is good! It only makes sense - if your attire is lighter colored in the summer - as it is for many - won't a lighter colored shoe be more appropriate?

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to wear suede mostly in fall/winter with flannels, cords and tweeds.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of suede longwings and was hoping to wear them most of the winter, unfortunately they keep getting delayed so that didn't happen.

I do have a couple other pair of suede shoes and I wear them all year long. As others have said, the color is more of a determinant of when they are worn than anything else is.

recondite

Reaction score
'xould be wrong, but one's spectators seem to have white suede as part of their construction and they are summer classics and late affectation. Dirty bucks were standard summer fare as a youth, if not year round wear, and they weren't nu-buck but the real daddy in suede. That was before sailing became my summer occupation and past time, and boat shoes were the de rigor summer footwear uniform regardless of attire.

Clark's desert boots and Wallabies seemed to see plenty of summer use as well when away from town and the water until pursuit of the opposite sex demanded more stylish suede alternatives like chukkas, loafers, and oxfords.

Different views from different experiences. It seems wearing anything other than flip flops or trainers is rather unusual for summer wear in the US at least and suede shoes of any color would be a good place to start.
There was a time, long ago and far away, in which suede was a winter material. Summer was 'white or dirty bucks' which is nubuck leather. One would not have worn suede shoes in the summer in general.
Of course in this land of distant memory it also was considered desirable to dress according to the season in general. Meaning in the summer seersucker and light colored suits were the norm, not the exception.
Modern heating and air conditioning has largely diminished the variables of seasonal dressing. Suede seems to be completely acceptable in the summer these days.
I still think it is especially dapper to vary ones shoes with the seasons a bit. I won't wear loafers in the winter, nor heavy dark colored laceups in the summer. I wear dark suede in the winter and tobacco or snuff suede in the summer. These rules are not hard and fast, and there are exceptions taken....but some seasonal variety is good! It only makes sense - if your attire is lighter colored in the summer - as it is for many - won't a lighter colored shoe be more appropriate?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'xould be wrong, but one's spectators seem to have white suede as part of their construction and they are summer classics and late affectation. Dirty bucks were standard summer fare as a youth, if not year round wear, and they weren't nu-buck but the real daddy in suede. That was before sailing became my summer occupation and past time, and boat shoes were the de rigor summer footwear uniform regardless of attire.

Clark's desert boots and Wallabies seemed to see plenty of summer use as well when away from town and the water until pursuit of the opposite sex demanded more stylish suede alternatives like chukkas, loafers, and oxfords.

Different views from different experiences. It seems wearing anything other than flip flops or trainers is rather unusual for summer wear in the US at least and suede shoes of any color would be a good place to start.

Of course. There were always exceptions to the seasonal nature of true suede. White suede may have been used on spectators - as was white calf. As for 'bucks' they are by their very definition made from Nubuck that is why they are called 'bucks'.

Based on your observations I believe I was referring to a time a bit earlier than you seem to reference. As the Clark's Wallabies were invented in 1965. By the mid to late 1960s all bets were off in terms of what was 'proper' with the youth. However, I was still under the firm control of my parents at this point in time. My generation was probably among the very last to be 'schooled' in these rules. And I do understand that they are archaic. Although I must admit to this day I wouldn't be comfortable in my espresso suede Hallam's in the height of summer. They just 'feel' winter to me.

My observations were included simply for historical reference. As I believe since the 1960s most of the social mores associated with 'proper attire' have been widely disregarded. Some of which I think is unfortunate but most of which I'm fine with.

Anyway - not to get into a debate - as all oberservations are based on personal perspective. I was only attempting to layout the history of the long dead prohibition against most suede in the summer as it seemed pertinent to the OP's question.

Oh! I do have a pair of sperry penny loafers in a rust suede with a rubber sole. I've worn them to death for the past 25 summers. Including boating. I think I waded through a creek in them last summer as well. :embar: So I do relate to your comment about the 'ol all purpose 'boat shoe'. A role those loafers have filled admirably.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general for me, darker suede in fall and winter, lighter suede in spring and summer. But, I have been wearing my light bucks a heck of a lot the last few months. Maybe because women always notice and compliment them even though they are well worn.

Reactions: RSS

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads