1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suede shoes + protector/care tips?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Naturally Baked, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Senior Member

I just got some suede sneakers and since I spent a good deal of money on them I want to make sure they stay fresh. Can anyone recommend some protector that I can spray on them, and where to buy it. Also any other shoe care tips are appreciated (I have searched but haven't found a good guide, so links are also appreciated) [​IMG]

2. Aaron01

Aaron01 Distinguished Member

#5 [​IMG] From Santoni

3. jessis

jessis Senior Member

I thought you just use a Scotchguard spray...available from most supermarkets...that is what I have used on my suede shoes. I feel that perhaps I should be doing something else???

4. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Suede shoe waterproofing spray and a suede brush from any shoe repair shop.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Just use an eraser.

6. werdswerf

werdswerf Well-Known Member

Like others have said, your only option to waterproof suede shoes is a silicone spray - waxes or creams will mess up the nap. Kiwi makes a decent spray that you can pick up from Target, but any silicone-based spray will work. Put a couple coats on a pair of shoes before you wear them for the first time, then brush them with a suede brush every couple weeks and add another light coat of spray after each time you wear the shoes out in the rain. And if you do get a spot for whatever reason (someone spills a drink on your shoe, for example), just take a suede eraser to it and brush it out. I have a pair of desert boots I've worn for 6 months that look pretty much new because I've been pretty good about brushing/waterproofing them. That's all there is to it.

7. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Senior Member

Like others have said, your only option to waterproof suede shoes is a silicone spray - waxes or creams will mess up the nap. Kiwi makes a decent spray that you can pick up from Target, but any silicone-based spray will work. Put a couple coats on a pair of shoes before you wear them for the first time, then brush them with a suede brush every couple weeks and add another light coat of spray after each time you wear the shoes out in the rain. And if you do get a spot for whatever reason (someone spills a drink on your shoe, for example), just take a suede eraser to it and brush it out. I have a pair of desert boots I've worn for 6 months that look pretty much new because I've been pretty good about brushing/waterproofing them. That's all there is to it.

Thanks for the tips!! [​IMG]

8. EL Gallo

EL Gallo New Member

Check out the new product from Stay Fly Ltd - Stay Fly Shoe Juice. Good for suede and fabric shoes, canvas, trainers etc.

9. EL Gallo

EL Gallo New Member