• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aquatherm

Reaction score
Loake PIMLICO
Different shades of green...

b3f26e919749ccb9768c0decdc4a1c7b.jpg

I'm thinking of buying a pair of earth green Chiltern chukkas but I'm not sure how versatile they will be and what I can wear it with. I see you're wearing them with denim. What else do you wear them with?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a pair of earth green Chiltern chukkas but I'm not sure how versatile they will be and what I can wear it with. I see you're wearing them with denim. What else do you wear them with?
I wear those chukka mostly with denim but I think they go very well with light earth tones, tan, sand, khaki chinos and even grey trousers. Probably the Chiltern chukkas are going to be easier to combine and wear as their green is not so "bright" as the one from Loake.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mishap and evolution of my “Carlos Nieto” Chelsea boots
Cross post with the "Boots, Boots, Boots" thread

I bought my “Carlos Nieto” Chelsea boots last January 2017, so they are three years nine months old. The next images were taken during their maiden voyage day: a very deep chocolate suede colour, with a wonderful nap and touch.

510cf744bc9d83853ce8f790e0af063c.jpg

With my shoe rotation, they were very well kept as seen in the next image taken one year later (January 2018), until the unfortunate day when they received some oil drops while I was helping in the kitchen. I didn’t realize the mishap until later on, so I couldn’t sprinkle the stain with some baby powder or cornstarch to absorb the oil, which had created a few ugly patches on the top of my boots.

f4e22051e554397281ebfeeb47c0391d.jpg

I tried all sort of tricks, suede cleaning solutions, suede shampoos, brushes, erasers, I even bought colour spays to mimic the stains that still there. When you don’t want to see something in its when it's more clear, even though the rest of the people didn’t even notice it. The fact was that I felt that they were deteriorating with so many brushes, erasers and cleaning solutions...

Last December 2019 they still kept their dignity, at least that was what I thought, even though the stains were there but they didn’t show much because of my right boot position.

39a22ceef8fc35ce7348de59cf973685.jpg

But, during last weeks, every time I put them on my feet, I felt that they had lost their original charm: I thought they were dirty, peeled, scraped even though it could be just my imagination. During the last months, I had bought other three Chelsea boots: they weren’t any more “unique”, as a way of saying it, I had my new Magnanni, Cheaney and Loake Chelsea boots.

The next image was the last I made when I decided that if it was not possible to get an appearance that would satisfy me, they would be part of an experiment that I wanted to make but I needed a suitable pair of shoes to do it. The change from the first photos to the latter is clear: the deep intense chocolate colour wasn’t there anymore, and instead of that I had stains and discolourations that were already difficult to correct.

5b52888f5df761352de7b05c7136b618.jpg

So, I converted the fragile suede Chelsea in a pair of boots that I could use without restriction under the rain or in any harsh situation with a radical appearance change: I applied Sno-Seal that I had used before with my Pimlico chukkas, in this case over the suede for a homemade waxed effect, whose result I imagined although it was still an experiment that could end in total botch...

81X1YVk83tL._SX466_.jpg

Next images are the final exercise result: the appearance changed radically, nothing to do with the chocolate suede that I enjoyed during the last years. Now they have an aspect that reminds me a newly waxed Barbour, with some shine but at the same time mate colour, with a "rough" texture that I don't know how it will evolve over time.

How pictures are worth a thousand words, these are my “new/old” Chelsea boots. Now I “need” a new pair of chocolate ones but I have a pair that I will use with my Barbour jackets, that are unique and exclusive and show with their wrinkles and character the use they have had.

1a19d7c7390f5e1c67a1700de32add32.jpg

e71c087bfcaedaa831d1b5a4f9832dbe.jpg

4a18e34dba02ad618d5d0aaeb215c1b7.jpg

It is now up to you to tell me now if this was crazy. Personally, I am very satisfied with these experiments. ;)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mishap and evolution of my “Carlos Nieto” Chelsea boots
Cross post with the "Boots, Boots, Boots" thread

I bought my “Carlos Nieto” Chelsea boots last January 2017, so they are three years nine months old. The next images were taken during their maiden voyage day: a very deep chocolate suede colour, with a wonderful nap and touch.

510cf744bc9d83853ce8f790e0af063c.jpg

With my shoe rotation, they were very well kept as seen in the next image taken one year later (January 2018), until the unfortunate day when they received some oil drops while I was helping in the kitchen. I didn’t realize the mishap until later on, so I couldn’t sprinkle the stain with some baby powder or cornstarch to absorb the oil, which had created a few ugly patches on the top of my boots.

f4e22051e554397281ebfeeb47c0391d.jpg

I tried all sort of tricks, suede cleaning solutions, suede shampoos, brushes, erasers, I even bought colour spays to mimic the stains that still there. When you don’t want to see something in its when it's more clear, even though the rest of the people didn’t even notice it. The fact was that I felt that they were deteriorating with so many brushes, erasers and cleaning solutions...

Last December 2019 they still kept their dignity, at least that was what I thought, even though the stains were there but they didn’t show much because of my right boot position.

39a22ceef8fc35ce7348de59cf973685.jpg

But, during last weeks, every time I put them on my feet, I felt that they had lost their original charm: I thought they were dirty, peeled, scraped even though it could be just my imagination. During the last months, I had bought other three Chelsea boots: they weren’t any more “unique”, as a way of saying it, I had my new Magnanni, Cheaney and Loake Chelsea boots.

The next image was the last I made when I decided that if it was not possible to get an appearance that would satisfy me, they would be part of an experiment that I wanted to make but I needed a suitable pair of shoes to do it. The change from the first photos to the latter is clear: the deep intense chocolate colour wasn’t there anymore, and instead of that I had stains and discolourations that were already difficult to correct.

5b52888f5df761352de7b05c7136b618.jpg

So, I converted the fragile suede Chelsea in a pair of boots that I could use without restriction under the rain or in any harsh situation with a radical appearance change: I applied Sno-Seal that I had used before with my Pimlico chukkas, in this case over the suede for a homemade waxed effect, whose result I imagined although it was still an experiment that could end in total botch...

81X1YVk83tL._SX466_.jpg

Next images are the final exercise result: the appearance changed radically, nothing to do with the chocolate suede that I enjoyed during the last years. Now they have an aspect that reminds me a newly waxed Barbour, with some shine but at the same time mate colour, with a "rough" texture that I don't know how it will evolve over time.

How pictures are worth a thousand words, these are my “new/old” Chelsea boots. Now I “need” a new pair of chocolate ones but I have a pair that I will use with my Barbour jackets, that are unique and exclusive and show with their wrinkles and character the use they have had.

1a19d7c7390f5e1c67a1700de32add32.jpg

e71c087bfcaedaa831d1b5a4f9832dbe.jpg

4a18e34dba02ad618d5d0aaeb215c1b7.jpg

It is now up to you to tell me now if this was crazy. Personally, I am very satisfied with these experiments. ;)

You are happy with the results and therefore you are not crazy. Drops of oil can be shoe killers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads