• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post and welcome!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first post here, so pardon if I have failed proper protocol in not posting in an introductions area.  I just love, love, love suede wingtips and had to jump on and post something.  In fact, coming of age in NYC years ago I first fell in love with the brown, suede wingtip.  Every time I see a pair, and a really good pair for that matter, it brings me back to those shoes and the person who wore them.  Just had to share.  BTW, glad to be here.

Welcome! Now post some pictures.

scardude

Reaction score
Photos of me, suede shoes or something else?
smile.gif

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-posting from Meermin thread. I dislike suede shoes in general, but there is something queer and wonderful about white and black suede. One wouldn't think of suede with these colours and yet they do work.

Re-made MTO modified oxford pair with black suede uppers, slim leather sole, dark purple lining. Natural welt top with white stitching, Hiro last.
Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford02.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford03.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford04.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford05.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford06.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford07.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford08.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford09.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford10.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford11.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford12.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford13.jpg

Meermin_shoes_black_suede_MTO_oxford14.jpg
[/quote]

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Operation Tetbury
R21j8.jpg

rNV0t.jpg

eieuE.jpg

XUiMk.jpg

iiTMK.jpg

Now wait untill they're dry...
– I brushed the shoes to get rid of dust and dirt. I also cleaned the soles with an old brush.
– I put some of the suede shampoo (the small bottle in the pic) in a bowl of water (let's say 1:10 ratio shampoo/water)
– I rinsed the shoes under a running tap (lukewarm); made them real wet (while trying to keep the inside of the shoe dry)
– I took the yellow side of the spunge (not the scratchy green side), dipped it in the bowl with shampoo/water and 'brushed' the whole shoe
– I left it with the shampoo on for a few minutes
– Then I rinsed the shoe under a running tap to remove the soap
– Then I repeated the process and gave the laces a litte rinse in the bowl
– After that, I put newspapers inside the shoe to get the inside dry
– I left the paper in for an hour or so and then put the shoe trees back in
Now, I'll leave them to dry for a day or so (don't know how long it will take). If they're dry tomorrow, I'll give them a brush
(I use a regular shoe brush, the one you see in the first picture, not a suede brush) and then spray them with Saphir Super
Invulner spray (the black spray can). After that, I'll apply Saphir Rénovateur to the sole edges and the soles themselves.
I leave that to dry for say half an hour. If the edges need some colour, I'll use a medium brown Saphir crème to touch
up the colour. I might do part of the sole as well. I'll leave that to dry, and give it a brush for a nice finish.
That's about it, I think.
Rénavateur applied on the sole edges:
QwmkQ.jpg

The suede still feels a bit damp, so I'm going to let it dry some more.
Also did the soles:
nOPUS.jpg

Added some brown wax on to finish the sole edges:
aDj4X.jpg

What's left to do: brush and spray (when the leather is completely dry.

opGLL.jpg

vmc3Q.jpg

kypKI.jpg

kqZKU.jpg

qcAeZ.jpg

RRQsM.jpg

ZpiYO.jpg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're welcome. You should watch it at home some time. It shows that you don't have to be so careful with suede and water as many people seem to think.

I just washed to pairs of cheap BB shoes using Saphir suede cleaner and water. If I like the way those turn out I will attempt my EG.

Since the Hanger Project is out, where else can you get the suede spray?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just washed to pairs of cheap BB shoes using Saphir suede cleaner and water. If I like the way those turn out I will attempt my EG.
Since the Hanger Project is out, where else can you get the suede spray?

I'm on the other side of the pond; I get my Saphir supplies in The Netherlands.

Jhors2

Reaction score
Wow that shoe on the far right is brilliant, what color is that referred to as?

ExhibitA

Reaction score

A pair of suede beaters. Had these for about 10 years and they still look pretty awesome with jeans. I've been unable to find a replacement for these. They're Kenneth Cole - Made in Italy. Very comfortable shoes. If anyone knows a good alternative or place to find this exact model send a pm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads