1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

suede shoes - post 'em here!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srivats, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Saphir Netto-something or other.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

3. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

100% agree.

4. lierre

lierre Well-Known Member

I just got a pair of tan plain toe suede bluchers like gc98's above. Thinking about pairing them with a pair of chinos. Socks or no socks? If so, what color? Also, would they work with shorts? Thanks!

5. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

X Post from the Japanese Shoes thread:

Il Quadrifoglio by Atsushi Qnai
    Jodhpur Boots in goat suede. Bespoke for a client.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Goat suede are buttery soft, but apparently very thin. So there is a layer of backing (pigskin) sandwitched between the suede and the lining.

6. europrep

europrep Senior member

Beautiful boot

7. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I have a pair of snuff suede austerity brogue wingtips and chocolate brown loafers, would you guys consider these an "all season" shoe or mainly spring and fall?

8. Sander

Sander Senior member

I'd wear these year-round.

9. Sander

Sander Senior member

I'd wear these year-round.

10. Cuttingboard

Thanks...I always thought suede was a spring/summer material but I guess it depends more on the color than material?

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I just asked this in the STF thread, but I thought I would check here as well:

I'm looking for some new suede shoes, and two Sutors from STF caught my eye - these and these.

I'm leaning towards the first pair with the punched cap, because generally a medallion toe without a cap, like the second pair, usually looks weird to me. However, I do kinda like the look of these Sutors with the medallion. Judging by the measurements on the site, sizing looks to be consistent for both....so I'm torn. Anybody have experience with either of these and can provide some useful feedback? Thanks!

12. Cuttingboard

I prefer the first one to the second and like you, I would prefer the second if it did not have the medallion.

13. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I'm not a big fan of cap toe suede (seems like an oxymoron to me), but the Adelaide style needs some balance on the toe so I think the medallion works for that purpose. I would prefer the second pair.

14. Beatlegeuse

I'm not a big fan of plain toe balmorals (plain toe bluchers I like....not sure why I like one and not the other), and I like the medallion on the second pair, I just don't like that it's a medallion with no cap.

What exactly makes a suede captoe an oxymoron? Is there some sort of purpose a captoe serves on a shoe made from a different type of material that it doesn't serve on a suede shoe? I'm not an expert on shoe construction or history, so if there's an actual reason then I'm interested to hear why that is.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  15. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

[​IMG]

16. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

First let me say that there are plenty of examples of great looking cap toe suede shoes, many in this thread alone.

That being said, the cap toe style is the defining style for a business shoe to be worn with business suits (lounge suits). Starting with stitch cap, then punch cap, semi-brogue and quarter brogue in order of formality; typically in black calfskin for city clothing styles and colors.

Certainly any style of shoe can be made with any type of leather, I just think that certain styles work better with certain leathers. Suede is inherently a casual leather (country), whereas the cap toe style is more of a business (city) style. To me it’s like wearing a tweed jacket with worsted wool slacks.

The look just doesn’t work for me, but it’s based more on personal perspective than anything else.

Just as a side note: (in relation to shoe construction and history) using the term balmoral as a general description of a closed lace shoe is really an Americanism. The balmoral shoe is a derivative of the balmoral boot which is mainly defined by a horizontal seam across the quarters, without a seam to the welt. The term oxford is more universally used/accepted to describe a closed lace shoe, be it balmoral, adelaide, swan neck, or other seam structure.

17. tggibbs

tggibbs Member

I love that there are 108 pages of these awesome shoes and that you guys have been keeping this thread alive since '09. Keep up the good work! And now I just need to find a pair that fits my budget since these pages have confirmed my love for suede.

2 people like this.
  18. europrep

europrep Senior member

X-Post. AS Ramsey

[​IMG]

19. Beatlegeuse

Interesting, I never really thought of a captoe as being inherently formal. Sure, a black calf stitch cap is about as formal as it gets (outside of black tie patent leather shoes or opera pumps), but I think the leather type holds more water than the style when it comes to formality. I would have no problem wearing suede punch caps with a casual-ish outfit, or even dressing them up a bit with a linen suit. I think they can be pretty versatile in that respect.

EDIT- I just bought those suede captoe Sutors from STF, I hope they fit well!

20. Cuttingboard

I ordered a pair of Carmina chocolate suede string loafers and I'm curious about their versatility. Is this a shoe I can wear with wool or flannel dress pants in a business casual work environment? I like their look with navy casual pants and jeans but curious how casual the string styling makes them and whether they're appropriate for an office environment this fall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013