• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
7448A2E0-2E76-47F1-BC9F-4FCC2FE9AAD5.jpeg

Cark

Reaction score
i got these banana republic suede shoes when my neighbour left them out on the curb, they were originally an ugly brown color so i got a pack of fabric dye at the dollar store and soaked the shoes in it and now they are a nice green colour. the heel backing was wearing down so i taped it up with some tuck tape. the laces were fraying so i taped them up with clear packaging tape. now the shoes are pretty good.

the main problem is i wear sneakers 99% of the time so i don't know how long it will be before i get around to wearing these shoes, maybe 20 years from now, they are pretty nice quality and i will keep them around and they will get some occasional wear.

i was thinking of getting a pair of yellow dress shoe laces for these shoes, sorta like dr martins but without the plain black/red color shoes that they have. thoughts on that?

(note, the pic makes the shoes look worse than it really is, they look a lot better on the feet)

r4W8R2r.jpg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got these banana republic suede shoes when my neighbour left them out on the curb, they were originally an ugly brown color so i got a pack of fabric dye at the dollar store and soaked the shoes in it and now they are a nice green colour. the heel backing was wearing down so i taped it up with some tuck tape. the laces were fraying so i taped them up with clear packaging tape. now the shoes are pretty good.

the main problem is i wear sneakers 99% of the time so i don't know how long it will be before i get around to wearing these shoes, maybe 20 years from now, they are pretty nice quality and i will keep them around and they will get some occasional wear.

i was thinking of getting a pair of yellow dress shoe laces for these shoes, sorta like dr martins but without the plain black/red color shoes that they have. thoughts on that?

(note, the pic makes the shoes look worse than it really is, they look a lot better on the feet)

r4W8R2r.jpg

As we used to say back in the day;

“dude, that’s gnarly”.

Cark

Reaction score
you cant beat free and high quality shoes, these $100 banana republic dress shoes are just as good as $300 shoes common on here, i was quite impressed.

i will try to get a on feet pic the next time i wear these in the spring, its too bad i have so few opportunities to wear dress shoes (other than to play dress up for the outing of the day)

Cark

Reaction score
I have to say, that looks like a pretty good dye job.

you should have seen the color before, it was an ugly brown so boring it would have made you yawn if you happen to even look at the suede shoes on my feet.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The day after Christmas errands with the wife. Time to exchange all the clothing purchases I made for her...lol. AE Massdrop Chukka
8C016A52-CFE0-4849-B02B-F36AF97AE8D3.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads