1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suede shoes: how do they age?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Apr 29, 2006.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I am contemplating on a pair of oxford suede shoes.

Just curious as to how well they age compared to calf and cordovan. Though calf and cordovan creases differently (the latter ripples rather than creases), they both develop patina over time that gives the leather more depth.

How does suede compare?

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Suede shoes wear differently in that after a time they tend to go "bald" in certain areas but that's after many years of service and it shouldn't dissuade you from suede(Did I really say that?).

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love suede, but consider them much more disposable than calfskin. In addition to the wear Tomasso mentioned, light suede accumulates dirt easily. Proper maintenance helps, but it's a losing battle.

That said, I agree with Tomasso that they're definitely worth the trouble. I can't imagine not having suede shoes.

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

What they said. Suede just won't hold up as well, but it's beautiful and it's different. Certainly worth having in the rotation.