• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede shoes and what the heck to wear in snow

Dimitri001

Reaction score
I've two questions;

Firstly, I've been reading about suede in snow and there seems to be a 75-25 split with 75% of people saying don't do it you'll ruin your shoes and 25% of people saying suede isn't as fragile as people think I wear my suede in the snow and it's fine.

Strictly because I don't know what the heck else to wear in snow while looking half-way stylish other than suede bucks I'm going to hazard my suede in the snow, but I'm curious as to what exactly folks mean when they say that it gets "ruined."

A girl I go to school with had a pair of beautiful purple suede shoes that now look extremely dark, almost black. Not beautiful shoes anymore at all. I suppose this is the "ruin" that people talk about, but did this happen to her (I can't ask her, I don't know her) because she didn't treat the suede with water repellant or will this happen one way or the other?
Will the shoes turn back to their original color after they dry or will there be some discoloration?

Does the texture get affected as well?

My second question is, what do you folks wear in the snow. I've been looking around but can't seem to find anything I like. I don't want to wear boots. Would nubuck get damaged in some way in the snow?

Last edited:

Swede66

Reaction score
Personally I also wear suede in snow, and never have had any issues with it. Sure, my suedes are not in light colors.
I use good spray water repellant fairly frequently during winter, and are carful to treat any salt stains, if any.

Dimitri001

Reaction score
Personally I also wear suede in snow, and never have had any issues with it. Sure, my suedes are not in light colors.
I use good spray water repellant fairly frequently during winter, and are carful to treat any salt stains, if any.

What color are your shoes? Have they changed color or texture? Naturally, they'll darken if they get wet, but when they dry off is it back to the original color or is the color affected?

How often do you apply the spray? Is it weekly, biweekly?

Swede66

Reaction score
Sorry for late answer. I have dark brown and snuff. They have not darkened or changed appearance in any other way.
The dark browns are fine year old and heavily used, so they do not look new anymore, but what shoe would?

Frequency of treatment depends a bit on weather. Cold snow is absolutely no issue at all, while "slush" have me spray them more frequently.
Also use spray with color, which really makes a difference.

No reason to hesitate :). They hold up better than the calf ones.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you want to wear boots? It is the standard winter shoe.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also fear wearing suede shoes in rain or snow. I have always owned several pairs of suede footwear. But I never allowed any of my shoes to get caught in the rain or snow. To be on the safe side, lately I'm thniking about using a suede footwear protector.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads