• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Shoes and Belt: Matchy-matchy?

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I read the various replies and I am still wondering if weaing a brown suede belt with the same color suede shoes (with a suit) violates the "matchy-matchy" rule? Also, I am wearing the shoes (I have 3 pairs in diffent styles, all chocolate brown) with medium brown crocodile belts. Someone had mentioned the belt should be darker. I don't see how I could do this. Thoughts? (By the way, I am new and this is my first thread: God knows if I did it right.)

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hold no such 'matchy matchy' rules for myself. I find that belts of similar shade and texture can look great in most situations, and likewise a little deviation from that can also work. I suspect you will get a mix of responses reflecting people's personal tastes on the matter rather than any hard and fast rule.

It's fall, so you may find a lot of examples of both in the 'HOF: what are you wearing today' thread on the top of the forum and can decide what you find most appealing.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
I read the various replies and I am still wondering if weaing a brown suede belt with the same color suede shoes (with a suit) violates the "matchy-matchy" rule? Also, I am wearing the shoes (I have 3 pairs in diffent styles, all chocolate brown) with medium brown crocodile belts. Someone had mentioned the belt should be darker. I don't see how I could do this. Thoughts? (By the way, I am new and this is my first thread: God knows if I did it right.)

Close only counts in horseshoes, handgrenades... and matching belts and shoes. No need for perfection.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Match most of the time (suede shoes and belt), sometimes will wear similar colors (calf and suede), I am not religious on texture,color,yes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Match, no, close, yes. I won't wear a non-suede belt with suede shoes. But only have one suede belt and I wear it with all the shoes.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Match, no, close, yes. I won't wear a non-suede belt with suede shoes. But only have one suede belt and I wear it with all the shoes.

funny, I am the other way around. I only wear my one suede belt with suede shoes, but where my calf belts with all shoes, including suede.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

+1,I do the same.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
funny, I am the other way around. I only wear my one suede belt with suede shoes, but where my calf belts with all shoes, including suede.

I meant all the suede shoes, no suede belt with calf shoes for me.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I match texture but if I notice that my belt and shoes are too similar in colour I change the belt.

Nothing says you've been dressed by the SA at AE more than a matching belt and shoes.

lefty

cncrd

Reaction score
I've had suede belts made in light, medium and dark brown shades, and one of the three covers all my suede shoes of various shades.

I tend to wear "matching" suede belt and shoes with suits (mostly fall/winter) but frequently mix up leather and suede belts and shoes otherwise.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purposely mismatch belt and shoe. suede with non-suede or vice-versa.

color wise, an exact color match is also a no-no

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I purposely mismatch belt and shoe. suede with non-suede or vice-versa.

color wise, an exact color match is also a no-no

says who? not being contentious ... just wanna know wear this "rule" comes from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads