Suede Shoes and Belt: Matchy-matchy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Lee, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

I read the various replies and I am still wondering if weaing a brown suede belt with the same color suede shoes (with a suit) violates the "matchy-matchy" rule? Also, I am wearing the shoes (I have 3 pairs in diffent styles, all chocolate brown) with medium brown crocodile belts. Someone had mentioned the belt should be darker. I don't see how I could do this. Thoughts? (By the way, I am new and this is my first thread: God knows if I did it right.)

2. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I would match the colour as closely as possible but not texture. My 2 cents.

3. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I hold no such 'matchy matchy' rules for myself. I find that belts of similar shade and texture can look great in most situations, and likewise a little deviation from that can also work. I suspect you will get a mix of responses reflecting people's personal tastes on the matter rather than any hard and fast rule.

It's fall, so you may find a lot of examples of both in the 'HOF: what are you wearing today' thread on the top of the forum and can decide what you find most appealing.

4. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

I read the various replies and I am still wondering if weaing a brown suede belt with the same color suede shoes (with a suit) violates the "matchy-matchy" rule? Also, I am wearing the shoes (I have 3 pairs in diffent styles, all chocolate brown) with medium brown crocodile belts. Someone had mentioned the belt should be darker. I don't see how I could do this. Thoughts? (By the way, I am new and this is my first thread: God knows if I did it right.)

Close only counts in horseshoes, handgrenades... and matching belts and shoes. No need for perfection.

5. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

i match mine. call me fussy.

6. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

i match mine. call me fussy.

+1

7. forex

forex Senior member

Match most of the time (suede shoes and belt), sometimes will wear similar colors (calf and suede), I am not religious on texture,color,yes.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Match, no, close, yes. I won't wear a non-suede belt with suede shoes. But only have one suede belt and I wear it with all the shoes.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Match, no, close, yes. I won't wear a non-suede belt with suede shoes. But only have one suede belt and I wear it with all the shoes.

funny, I am the other way around. I only wear my one suede belt with suede shoes, but where my calf belts with all shoes, including suede.

10. forex

forex Senior member

+1,I do the same.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

funny, I am the other way around. I only wear my one suede belt with suede shoes, but where my calf belts with all shoes, including suede.

I meant all the suede shoes, no suede belt with calf shoes for me.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

I match texture but if I notice that my belt and shoes are too similar in colour I change the belt.

Nothing says you've been dressed by the SA at AE more than a matching belt and shoes.

lefty

13. cncrd

cncrd Senior member

I've had suede belts made in light, medium and dark brown shades, and one of the three covers all my suede shoes of various shades.

I tend to wear "matching" suede belt and shoes with suits (mostly fall/winter) but frequently mix up leather and suede belts and shoes otherwise.

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I purposely mismatch belt and shoe. suede with non-suede or vice-versa.

color wise, an exact color match is also a no-no

15. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

I purposely mismatch belt and shoe. suede with non-suede or vice-versa.

color wise, an exact color match is also a no-no

says who? not being contentious ... just wanna know wear this "rule" comes from?