• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Shoe Design Question

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What style toe do you like, squarish, round, blunt, chiseled?

The dark shade of brown throws me off a bit.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am thinking of getting a pair of dark brown suede shoes. The dark brown is very dark, the leather is thick and soft and the nap is lush, but short. What shoe do you think this leather wants to be?

who's gonna make them?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am thinking of getting a pair of dark brown suede shoes. The dark brown is very dark, the leather is thick and soft and the nap is lush, but short. What shoe do you think this leather wants to be?

I don't know what kind of shoes you ordinarily wear, or where you wear them, and in what sort of company?

For dark brown suede I like the idea of plain-toed bluchers in the usual almond shape, but your leather may demure. :)

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What style toe do you like, squarish, round, blunt, chiseled?

I am fairly agnostic and am ok with most shapes, so long as it is not exaggerated.
The dark shade of brown throws me off a bit.

It is not the absolute darkest brown, but pretty dark. If it were in the blue family, it would be the equivalent of one shade lighter than midnight blue.

Because of the thickness, and also because I am holding out for a good buckskin, I will avoid a full brogue. If I get an oxford, I am thinking about a plain toe or maybe a cap toe. If a derby, I am thinking about a skin stitched lake, like the Dover. I think that might look cool in suede.
Another possibility is a slip-on. For a variety of reasons, slip-ons are a very hard fit for me. I have had one pair made bespoke and this might be a good opportunity to get another.

I don't know what kind of shoes you ordinarily wear, or where you wear them, and in what sort of company?
For dark brown suede I like the idea of plain-toed bluchers in the usual almond shape, but your leather may demure. :)

Most of my shoes are on the Alden Modified Last. To be honest, I find them as comfortable as bespoke and I am o.k. with how they look. The only problem is that choices are limited, generally, and there simply are no oxfords or slip-ons. So if I am going bespoke, I would like to get something I know I can't ever get otherwise.

That is one reason I am leaning towards an oxford if I get a plain toe. The other is that with a leather this dark and with such a fine nap, I think I can get a shoe that looks both dressed but relaxed at the same time.
But the thickness of the leather is also making me think skin stitching and I love the idea of a dark suede slip-on, hence my appeal for others' opinions.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My first thought was a slip on

Side gussets?

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My first thought was a slip on
Side gussets?

I am not sure I like side gusset shoes, though they would make it easier for me to wear slip-ons. I have been happy with a pair of slip-ons Foster made for me. If I got another pair, I would use those as a starting point and vary it from there. They look like this pair of Will's, though they are a lighter, redder shade of brown and have a wing rather than a straight cap.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i throw in a three eylet plain toe derby. looks awesome.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good idea - if I got a derby, it would be this style rather than the kind Alden makes on the Modified Last.
Though I think I know what you mean, do you have any examples in mind you can post?

probably not in suede. i'll have to check the vass thread and get back here. iirc, fellow member pliny owns one, at least in calf, which should get you an idea.

on a random note: i hope you get some wear on the mustards? certainly, you can pm me on this. i really appreciate, if you do. many thanks.

Last edited:

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same shoes, but I love this photo of Pliny's.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jammyo40

Reaction score

Most of my shoes are on the Alden Modified Last. To be honest, I find them as comfortable as bespoke and I am o.k. with how they look. The only problem is that choices are limited, generally, and there simply are no oxfords or slip-ons.

I may be missing something here, but have you contacted Alden for a custom make up?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I may be missing something here, but have you contacted Alden for a custom make up?

Several times. They cannot make on the Modified Last any model for which there is no Modified Last pattern. That effectively means no oxfords as the patterns are all blucher models of one kind or another (though there is a saddle shoe pattern, which is oxford-like, but not really the same). Also, no slip-ons on that last. I have about a dozen pairs, including "Alpine" longwings, wingtip bluchers in black and in tan, black and burgundy cap toe bluchers, No. 8 shell plain toes, cigar shell u-tips, whiskey shell v-tips, black boots, no. 8 shell boots, white bucks, tan suede plain toes, dark brown suede boots and probably some others. They are a mix of standard stock, direct order, Japanese market seconds from shoemart and Moulded Shoe special makeups.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads