• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede or hopsack for a burgundy sport coat?

tayyabp

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an option to go with either suede or hopsack wool for a burgundy sport coat (both featuring patch pockets and unpadded shoulders, to keep things casual). The suede jacket is more maroon while the hopsack is more of a dark brown-burgundy.

What would you go with, and why?

These aren't the sport coats in question, but they are similar in terms of colour and fabric:

1. Suede:

15213399fpxtif_1024x1024.jpg

2. Hopsack:

John-Varvatos-Star-USA-Mens-Slim-Fit-Melange-Hopsack-Sportcoat-38R-Burgundy.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely the hopsack. Suede sport coats don't age very well, as suede picks up dirt marks easily. Sometimes that's not a big deal with a workwear outfit, but it can be an issue with a more tailored look.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with the hopsack, either. It's not a fabric I think very highly of.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede is better left for a jacket designed to be outerwear. I’m not sure if that makes sense.

Hopsack is more versatile and practical. The comparison, though, doesn’t make sense. These are completely different materials and are more seasonal. Hopsack works better in the warmer times of the year whereas suede will not.

I suppose the question that needs to be asked is do you have a seasonal preference?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Hopsack wins hands down for me. I find my hopsack blazers are getting pulled from the wardrobe more than any others right now as the weather gets warmer, and they seem to attract the most compliments (likely because hopsack may not be all that well known among people who don’t obsess about clothing, so it always attracts interest). Burgundy hopsack could make for a very striking jacket.

That said, it depends on your local climate. If you have a fairly long summer then hopsack is a no brainer but if, like mine, your summers last five minutes before the chill returns to the air you might get more use from suede. Your call :)

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the need is for the cooler Months, there are still more versatile options than suede.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
real suede or synthetic ultra suede?

tayyabp

Reaction score
I'm in Canada so most of our year is cold, but I also run warm personally, so I think I'm going to go with hopsack. As an answer to a person above, yes, real suede.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why's that?
I find it to be a coarse and unpleasant fabric. The two jackets I had that were hopsack disappointed me and they are no longer in my possession.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find it to be a coarse and unpleasant fabric. The two jackets I had that were hopsack disappointed me and they are no longer in my possession.
Do you know what cloth is is? Have not seen any hopsacks that had a hand like you describe. Fresco, yes but not a hopsack

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know what cloth is is? Have not seen any hopsacks that had a hand like you describe. Fresco, yes but not a hopsack
Yes, I do. Hopsack has a coarse, open weave. It looks and feels unpleasant to me.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find hopack a good, casual warm weather fabric. I have a navy blazer made of it. I don’t find it coarse but then again, I get that there is a fair bit of subjectivity to it.

It’s certainly textured. I also like the way it drapes. It’s very soft and gives itself to a range of formality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads