• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede jacket and masking tape mishap

MysticAura

Reaction score
Don't ask and its a terrible story but I got the sleeve of my suede jacket stuck on some masking tape. Now, the damage is not terrifying but it left some black marks and stickiness on the suede.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this without using a 50 dollar 2 week suede dry cleaning service? Thanks

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MysticAura
Don't ask and its a terrible story but I got the sleeve of my suede jacket stuck on some masking tape. Now, the damage is not terrifying but it left some black marks and stickiness on the suede.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this without using a 50 dollar 2 week suede dry cleaning service? Thanks

Be very VERY careful with this.

In fact, I'd be tempted to say, pay the money & get it cleaned professionally.

My reason: I have alcantara/leather sports seats in my car. Sticky black masking type tape ended up on the alcantara part, which is basically like suede to the touch. I tried to clean it myself and ended up causing damage rather than cleaning. Admittedly, I didn't think too much before trying to clean it and just tried scrubbing with a stain remover. So if you have your brain switched on and are gentle, you may be OK. But I ended up needing a professional to remove most of it.

MysticAura

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the stickiness is gone, but the stain remains. Will get it professionally cleaned.

_AMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Be very VERY careful with this.

In fact, I'd be tempted to say, pay the money & get it cleaned professionally.

My reason: I have alcantara/leather sports seats in my car. Sticky black masking type tape ended up on the alcantara part, which is basically like suede to the touch. I tried to clean it myself and ended up causing damage rather than cleaning. Admittedly, I didn't think too much before trying to clean it and just tried scrubbing with a stain remover. So if you have your brain switched on and are gentle, you may be OK. But I ended up needing a professional to remove most of it.

Ah, an Audi driver? What model? I drive a modified B5 S4.

Aaron

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by _AMD
Ah, an Audi driver? What model? I drive a modified B5 S4.

Aaron

B6 S4 here.
devil.gif

Not modded, just stock. Insurance costs on modded cars here are ridiculous (I used to have a lightly modded Civic Type R a while back and paid through the nose in insurance costs).

S4s are fun cars though.
smile.gif

_AMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
B6 S4 here.
devil.gif

Not modded, just stock. Insurance costs on modded cars here are ridiculous (I used to have a lightly modded Civic Type R a while back and paid through the nose in insurance costs).

S4s are fun cars though.
smile.gif

I agree thoroughly. I have given more than a few Corvette, Ferarri, and Porsche drivers fits at the road tracks around me. Nothing like passing a prancing horse in your four door family sedan (saloon) from which you removed the baby seat just prior to entering the pit lane.
devil.gif

Nice ride you have there. I am now dreaming of a B5 RS4, since the US has taken it off the restricted list recently.

Aaron

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by _AMD
I agree thoroughly. I have given more than a few Corvette, Ferarri, and Porsche drivers fits at the road tracks around me. Nothing like passing a prancing horse in your four door family sedan (saloon) from which you removed the baby seat just prior to entering the pit lane.
devil.gif

I don't track my car, but even on the regular roads and without racing anybody, I really like the "sleeper" aspect of the car. The boy racers don't really hassle you because they don't understand what you're driving, but when you need the power and pace for any reason, it's right there. And Quattro is just wonderful in bad weather.

Nice ride you have there. I am now dreaming of a B5 RS4, since the US has taken it off the restricted list recently.
RS4s are mental. In a great way.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads