• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede elbow patches

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to add suede elbow patches to one of my tweed jackets.

My question is, is there a particular type or style of tweed jacket, which the elbow patches look best.

My second question, where should i buy the patches from?

thanks guys.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the jacket is a zegna so i'm looking for something high quality for the elbow patches.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, anyone want to add something constructive?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry that I cannot help you find the patches. However, I have done a bit of looking before as I needed some for some worn sweaters that I dearly wanted to keep. I was not relly able to find anything that I thought would work. And they would not really have to be in suede either. I'll be interested in reading the the replies which include material sources.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had it added to my blazer for $60.00, the tailor obtained the suede etc.

Regards.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coarser the tweed the more elbow patches work IMO, having said that I had a pair added to a Saxony Supreme Tweed jacket (to cover a small tear) and they ork pretty well. Dress makers/fabric shops sell them, but unless you're wanting to sew them on yourself, wherver you gt the repair done should be able to source them.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
The coarser the tweed the more elbow patches work IMO, having said that I had a pair added to a Saxony Supreme Tweed jacket (to cover a small tear) and they ork pretty well. Dress makers/fabric shops sell them, but unless you're wanting to sew them on yourself, wherver you gt the repair done should be able to source them.
To the OP, if you're getting elbow patches put on because of a tear/hole, consider this option first: http://www.invisible-mending.co.uk/history.asp

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If your coat is of a smoother fabric, you may also consider elbow patches in wool, in a color few shades darker than the primary color of your blazer.

Eagle

Reaction score
In the past, my wife has found the type of suede patches you are referring to at various sewing stores such as, Hancock's, Jo-Ann Fabrics, etc. I'm not sure that the quality is what you might be looking for but, they do have the patches!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm capable of doing a google search of course, just wondering if the guys on here had experience with this as i want a particularly nice suede.

i visited a few local shops and was less then impressed.

B.B. Haywood

Reaction score
Too revive the thread, rather than start a new one, I too am looking into elbow patches for a rather coarse Harris tweed blazer. I will sgare updates.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads